Samsung forum

General discussion

Cracks in frame on a 52/650

by crupp01 / December 15, 2008 12:48 AM PST

I noticed the other day cracking on the frame of my 650. The cracks on internal has the outside is still smooth. The cracks(s) extend for about 2-3 inches on the bottom center of the screen. As anyone else experienced this. The TV is about 3 weeks old.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cracks in frame on a 52/650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cracks in frame on a 52/650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Service or exchange?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 17, 2008 3:50 AM PST

crupp01,

A service tech would have to determine that the crack was no fault of the customers. It's not that *I* doubt you at all, however, there are a few things that have to be taken into consideration when it comes to physical damage of the bezel. So you could schedule an appointment for that if you'd like it inspected.

If you're unhappy with that, you may be in your exchange period, in which case, you might consult your retailer for an exchange.

I hope that helps.

**Anth

Collapse -
52' Samsung series 850 cracked frame
by fr88 / January 16, 2009 7:39 AM PST

October 7, 2008 I bought a 52' Samsung Series 850

Last week I noticed a tiny crack at the bottom right of the frame. Yesterday I noticed another crack an inch to the left, of the original crack.

It is strange, but they are simply appearing on the frame.

What did you do?? Is there an explanation to this problem

Collapse -
Cracks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2009 1:35 PM PST

I don't know how they are happening.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Cracked frame in brand new sony 52" Bravia
by Drickert / January 18, 2009 3:18 AM PST

We just hung our new Sony Bravia on the wall last week. The TV is less than 2 weeks old. Two days ago we noticed that there was a large crack on the top black frame. No one hit the TV, and was installed on the wall with out any incident or problem. What did you do? Did anyone tell you what caused this? i plan on returning this tv and exchanging it, but of course we don't have the box anymore. The TV itself still works and looks great. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Collapse -
52 inch Sony Bravia with crack in frame
by ridgetn / January 18, 2009 6:14 AM PST

Our new bravia was delivered on Friday from mysonystyle.com. This is a replacement ($900) for the 55 inch wega with the defective optical block. After waiting one month, this new bravia was delivered in perfect condition. Within 2 days a three inch crack has developed in the top of the case. I can only assume it is due to the tv being delivered in 8 degree weather and then the polymer cracking due to change in temperature. Has anyone else experienced this? I am hopeful sony will warranty this since there was no damage to the tv by us or from the delivery man.

Collapse -
Crack bottom right on Samsung series 6 52" Model LA52.
by mglinski1 / February 14, 2009 9:41 AM PST

A crack has appeared on the bottom right on the bezel. The TV was purchase on 16 Oct 2008. The crack appears to be internal and growing. We need to pay $115 for inspection to determine if we are responsible.

Collapse -
Cracks on frame of Samsung LCD TV
by slamroe / February 14, 2009 2:55 PM PST

We bought our Samsung 32" LCD TV in September and I first noticed some internal cracking near the buttons on the tv a month or so ago. Thought they were scratches at first but more have appeared and some can be felt and others only seen. also noticed them this morning top left no where near the buttons. I wonder if this is a result of the heat that is generated from the TV over a long period of use? It is only used for domestic use so if that's the case then obviously a design defect.
Either way am going to contact Samsung tomorrow as not happy about it.

Collapse -
Tech Inspection of Cracked Bezel
by mglinski1 / March 1, 2009 6:19 AM PST

The bezel crack was inspected by Tech's who will report back to Samsung saying that they are appearing from the inside and working there way out. They also noted that the bezel was slightly (1mm) detached from the screen on the cracked side (Right side facing TV. Their initial thought was a manufacturing problem with the bezel material that appears due to the heating and cooling cycle.

Collapse -
Charged?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 1, 2009 1:12 PM PST

Were you charged for an inspection of this television under warranty?

--HDTech

Collapse -
re charged
by slamroe / March 1, 2009 5:42 PM PST
In reply to: Charged?

no we werent charged for the inspection, had very prompt service so far and tv being picked up tomorrow to have faulty part replaced. so far so good. Have been happy with the service.

Collapse -
LN52A650 bezel seperation
by firemn131 / March 2, 2009 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Charged?

I noticed last week that the top right side corner of the bezel is seperated from the frame. At first I shrigged it off. now i noticed that the seperation is growing. Also it appears that the set is agled back a few degrees from the vertical like it is tilting backwards. The set is on a hard wood teak stand that shows to be level with a bubble level.
The last thing, as I look along the top edge of the bezel from one corner to the other I notice a distinctive bow. Is this normal?
The set is great other than these cosmetics. But, this is the biggest investment I have made in an entertainment item. The last TV i had for 15 years. So At 2500.00 I don't think that there should be issues after 6 months.
Who do I call?

Collapse -
We can fix that....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 2, 2009 9:19 AM PST

firemn131,

If your unit is still under warranty, call 800-SAMSUNG and arrange to have a tech come out and replace the bezel.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Mine too
by narasect / March 28, 2009 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: We can fix that....

I have a samsung series 6 52" and noticed the same thing on mine but you can't see it unless I'm right at the TV, like when I clean the screen. It doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Collapse -
re mine too
by slamroe / March 28, 2009 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine too

starts as not a big deal but if its the same as my tv they will get bigger and more obvious. Had it all fixed under warranty within 48 hours. Hopefully wont happen again.

Collapse -
Mine too
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 30, 2009 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Mine too

narasect,

I'd rather you be happy with your purchase. Why not call 800-SAMSUNG and arrange for them to replace your bezel? I don't want you to be unhappy later down if the frame was to crack further.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
52 INCH SAMSUNG A650
by SHANENTAMPA / April 8, 2009 12:28 AM PDT

Yes, I noticed small reflections in the clear portion of the bezel on my TV a few weeks ago. I have had the TV since December 08. I called Samsung and they set me up with a local tech to take a look. The tech called and told me Samsung was aware of the problem with the plastic cracking internally for some reason and they were going to order me a new bezel that is made of a different plastic. She said it looks the same but is less brittle or something. Anyway, they said they would be out in about 5 days to install it. The TV is still the best TV I have owed.

Collapse -
Same Issue
by bgrbb / May 11, 2009 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: 52 INCH SAMSUNG A650

I just recently noticed a small crack in the right side of my frame and some small bubbles around the crack. I think these started out as just bubbles that I didn't really pay much attention to and and more recently started to crack--which I did finally notice. I called Samsung and they are setting me up with a local technician to come and check it out and possibly replace. Luckily was still under warranty although it was almost about to expire.

Collapse -
Same Issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 12, 2009 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue

bgrbb,

Good to hear you are getting taken care of. If you haven't already (US customers only), why not register your product on the website and get a free additional 3 months of warranty for your product?

Hope that helps, and keep me posted as to how it turns out.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Update
by bgrbb / June 3, 2009 1:45 AM PDT

It took a few weeks to get setup with a local technician but someone came out yesterday and replaced the frame for no charge. It was all done at home and probably took about 1/2 hour. Looks good as new now and I'm happy with how Samsung dealt with the issue. Hopefully this problem won't happen again!

Collapse -
Getting Worse
by mgp2001 / April 30, 2012 1:48 PM PDT

I noticed the cracking about two months after hanging it on the wall. That was the middle of 2010. Didn't think much of it. But now it seems to be getting worse. Any recourse?

~ MGP

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.