Samsung forum

General discussion

Crackling static on 52A650

by rcnitro / November 10, 2008 11:35 PM PST

I have had this TV now for about 4 months. It is hooked up to a Atlanta Scientific 8300HD cable box with a Phillips HDMI cable. Here lately I have noticed a slight crackling static while viewing some HD channels. It is not like really loud but it is enough to be an annoyance. Not sure what the problem could be. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crackling static on 52A650
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crackling static on 52A650
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Crackling...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 11, 2008 10:15 AM PST

Does the crackling appear on any other inputs, or just on the input from the cable box?

--HDTech

Collapse -
crackling
by rcnitro / November 11, 2008 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Crackling...

It only does it when using the cable box and only when watching some HD programs. Not all HD programs but several. Especially live news programs. I thought about for the heck it, changing back to component cables. Not sure if it would help but it might eliminate one possible cause.

Collapse -
Besides crackling....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 11, 2008 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: crackling

Are there any other audio issues besides the crackling?

--HDTech

Collapse -
No other issues
by rcnitro / November 11, 2008 11:43 AM PST
In reply to: Besides crackling....

Thanks for replying BTW! No other issues that I have ever noticed. This thing sounds awesome otherwise. Not sure if it could be something in the signal from maybe the cable company or the station itself.

Collapse -
No other issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 11, 2008 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: No other issues

Have you tried updating the firmware for that unit?

I've posted a link for this. Also, you may see if having the cable company reset or update your box eliminates this problem.

Here's the link for the firmware:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_nm=LN52A650A1F&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=L&prd_ia_cd=02010100&disp_nm=LN52A650

If those don't fix the issue, or you're unable to update the television, we can set up a service technician to come and address your unit.

--HDTech

Collapse -
another issue
by rcnitro / November 26, 2008 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: No other issues

One other thing. A few days ago I was watching the TV and it was working fine. I went to change the channel from an HD to a standard channel and when the picture came up it was nothing but black and white vertical lines but you could sort of see the picture in kind of a ghost image if that makes any sense. Almost looked like a film negative but with vertical lines. After switching the channel a few times it finally came up like it should. Not sure if this has anything to do with the other problems or not. Please help!!!

Thanks

Collapse -
Symptom
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 2:50 PM PST
In reply to: another issue

That symptom doesn't sound like the television. I'd actually lean more towards getting your box swapped out.

I could be wrong on that, but I don't recognize that symptom whatsoever.

--HDTech

Collapse -
same issue
by pr627 / November 12, 2008 1:03 AM PST

I get the same issue on my PN50A450 except there is no cracking in the audio but there is a thin line at top of picture within the letterbox that has a static/crackling look. It only appears on some HD channels but not all of them. it doesnt appear on the regular cable channels at all. TV was manufactured in Sept 08. shouldnt it have the latest firmware?

Collapse -
additional note
by pr627 / November 12, 2008 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: same issue

It also did this before I had even hooked up my cable box and was running cable from the wall straight into the tv

Collapse -
Some but not all....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2008 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: additional note

Picture and sound are two different issues, but I'll try to address this without confusing anyone. Including me.

Picture: If it does it for some channels and not all, that's usually the sign of either a bad connection to the cable box, or a faulty box. I say usually because when people report this issue and replace or have the cable company update the box, this issue usually goes away. If it doesn't, then it's time to suggest a service on the television.

In most cases, if that line was an inherent issue in the television, it would be on all inputs, not "some channels" on one input.

Noise in the picture? I'm not positive.

Crackling noise in the audio, however, is addressed with the firmware. The firmware may have been released after the manufacturing of the unit, so I'd definitely recommend updating it if you're not at the current version.

The PN50A450 firmware can be found at this link, and may solve your picture issue:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=plasmatv&model_nm=PN50A450P1D&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=L&prd_ia_cd=02010200&disp_nm=PN50A450

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
firmware
by rcnitro / November 12, 2008 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: Some but not all....

Thanks HDtech!! I will try to update the firmware this weekend and see what happens.

Collapse -
problem appears solved
by pr627 / November 12, 2008 9:45 PM PST

after changing SOURCE INPUT from TV to HDMI 1, all of my concerns have now been erased. I didnt know that had to be changed. BEAUTIFUL PICTURE !!!

Collapse -
Crackling on LN46A550
by rpuas / November 21, 2008 8:32 AM PST

HD Tech...

Just purchased a LN46A550 last week and I noticed crackling (intermittenly) whenever I have the HDMI connect to Either a Samsung HT AVR or a DirecTv HD receiver. Would I need a Firmware update as well?

on a separate issue....when I have the AVR connected between the Directv & LN46A550 via HDMI, I loose the HD signal when I change channels on the DTV receiver...I've figured out that the DTV cycles through 480, 720 and 1080 (p&i) resolutions as it looks for the native resolution for the program on the selected channel...this seems to cause the dropped signal and will not return to an image. I've resorted to bypassing the AVR and connected the DTV directly to LN46A550.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

rpuas

Collapse -
Update to LN46A550
by rpuas / November 24, 2008 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Crackling on LN46A550

After some futzing around with the settings, I figured out why I was losing the signal on the HDMI connection from DTV HD-> Samsung HT AVR-> LN46A550...

As I suspected, the DTV HD receiver was cycling through the different resolutions every time I changed the channel (Native Resolution)...it went from 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i... in that order. Whenever the DTV would switch to 480i, I lost the signal, but if I change the resolution to 480p, 720p, 1080i, I got the video back. I assume the HT AVR cannot process the 480i...easy fix, set the DTV to NOT feed 480i over the HDMI.

As far as the Audio crackling, I tried changing the HDMI cables to higher grade (1.3 compliant) cables, downloaded and updated the firmware, but no luck! I seems to occur when turning on my AV receiver and there is no feed from the DTV or when switching the input source on the AV receiver. At one point, I decided to bypass the AV receiver and plugged in the DTV directly to the TV...and noticed that while the DTV was downloading a software update, the crackling returned...once the programing started, the crackling stopped. It appears as if the TV is picking up some type of signal or static while the source input is off.

From what I've read on this and several other forums, I'm not the only one with this problem and it speaks poorly of Samsung as to why they haven't resolved these issues.

After all, HDTV as been touted as the holy grail of televisions and it's very disapointing to know that I get better sound out of my 36" analog TV than I do out of my $1500 46" digital TV!

I forsee a return trip to best buy and swapping this TV out for a SONY instead!

rpuas

Collapse -
Just to Clarify...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 24, 2008 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: Update to LN46A550

HDMI supports 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Setting your cable box to the higher resolution would be an improvement, as less processing is necessary and those inputs support those signals. For a complete list, Page 24 has all of our inputs and recommend resolution settings.

My intent was to help suggest resolutions, not to frustrate you.

If you feel that swapping it out for a different model will make you happier, then do what you feel is best for you. I don't want you to be an unhappy customer over a crackling sound or feel that we've sold you a poor product. We'd rather take a return today in hopes that you'll give us an opportunity to earn your business in the future.

--HDTech

Collapse -
much bigger problem!!
by rcnitro / November 26, 2008 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Just to Clarify...

I havent had the chance to figure out how to do the firmware update but now I have much bigger problem. No pic and no sound on TV! A couple of weeks ago its started this issue when I would turn the TV on there was no sound or picture. Whenever I would change the channel it the pic would come back and it was fine. Today I come home and now I have no pic or sound. Not real happy with my Samsung right now! Any ideas on what this could be?

Collapse -
Firmware Update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: much bigger problem!!

I would recommend, if you have access to a thumbdrive, that you perform the firmware update. It may very well address some of the issues you have.

To download the firmware update, you can get it from this site:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_nm=LN52A650A1F&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=L&prd_ia_cd=02010100&disp_nm=LN52A650

There are directions on how to perform it as well.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be here through the holidays checking email and checking posts.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thumb drive
by rcnitro / November 26, 2008 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Firmware Update

Thanks for the fast reply HDtech!!

I dont have a thumb drive but I was planning to buy one anyway so I will head out and pick one up. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Thumbdrive
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 2:51 PM PST
In reply to: thumb drive

If you don't already have one, we can send you one also. (Though shipping times vary, so the choice is up to you).

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks!!
by rcnitro / November 26, 2008 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Thumbdrive

Thanks for all the help HD tech!! I will try to get the box swapped out here in the next few days. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Sounds good!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 27, 2008 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!!

Again, if that doesn't work, it may be the television, in which case we'll set up a service and get you up and running.

Happy Thanksgiving!

--HDTech

Collapse -
firmware updated: still no luck
by rcnitro / November 26, 2008 10:55 AM PST

Ok...I got the firmware updated successfully. Still I have no picture or sound. I can get signal from the DVD player through the component inputs. Also getting signal from the Wii through A/V input. I also tried disconnecting the HDMI and hooking the component cables up from the cable box but still no pic or sound. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Collapse -
related issue?
by rcnitro / November 26, 2008 12:31 PM PST

One other thing. A few days ago I was watching the TV and it was working fine. I went to change the channel from an HD to a standard channel and when the picture came up it was nothing but black and white vertical lines but you could sort of see the picture in kind of a ghost image if that makes any sense. Almost looked like a film negative but with vertical lines. After switching the channel a few times it finally came up like it should. Not sure if this has anything to do with the other problems or not.

Thanks

Collapse -
kinda working
by rcnitro / November 26, 2008 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: related issue?

So I tried one more thing. I totally by-passed the cable box all together and ran the coaxial straight into the back of the TV. I can now view my basic cables channels. Not sure if this simplifies things or further complicates them.

Collapse -
Me either....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 2:55 PM PST
In reply to: kinda working

The box is supposed to alleviate all these problems, not cause more! Happy

I would still recommend a box swap. If that doesn't fix the issue, we'll put in a service call and have a technician come out and take a look. Does that sound like a solution?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Back in business!
by rcnitro / November 29, 2008 2:16 AM PST

HD tech,

Ok...cable company came and "messed" with things a bit and got me back up and running. Not sure eaxctly what they did but they said if it occurs again they will change out the DVR box. Time will tell the static rears its ugly head again. I'll let you know if that happens again.

Thanks for all the help here. I do apologize for thinking the TV was the main issue. I am just glad it wasnt. Glad to say I am VERY happy with my Samsung again!!!!

Thanks!!

Collapse -
Happy to help.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2008 3:32 PM PST
In reply to: Back in business!

Good to hear you're back in business!

We have you covered in case it happens to be the television, and it looks like your cable company is also taking care of you.

Keep me posted. (Hopefully you'll be too busy enjoying your television!)

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?