Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

crached system

by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 4:40 AM PDT

Anybody with the idea of website where i can download original window xp home edition sp1 for my system that is already crash so that i can repair the operating system for i dont want to loose the document.
My recovery cd is bad and i still ve my product key.
I now use my 2nd system.
Kindly help,
Yours,
Uncle T

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: crached system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: crached system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: crached system
Collapse -
hello
by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell us more

thank u mark.
yes the other one has been resolved.

I was just using registry defragmentation on the system where there is norton internet security installed and after the whole process , the window could not boot again.
Yes i can resolve the problem if i could get the recovey cd i said.
Where to download matters to me or how do i use another syatem not home edition sp1 to make the recovery cd (home edition sp1)
Kind help
Thanks

Collapse -
Re: download Windows XP
by Kees Bakker / June 30, 2008 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: crached system

You can't. There's no legal download. Your options:
1. get a new recovery cd from the maker
2. buy a new Windows XP and download all drivers from your PC's maker
3. borrow a Windows XP CD that will accept your (OEM) product key
Let me add that #3 is unlikely to happen.

The easy way to get to your documents: put the disk in an external USB-enclosure and connect that to your second system. You might need to take ownership of the files, bat that's easy.

Kees

Collapse -
okay
by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

what is external usb enclosure

Collapse -
Re: external enclosure
by Kees Bakker / June 30, 2008 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: okay

That's an external disk (like you see at http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10033 for example) without the disk inside. Just the case and you put in your own disk. All computershops have them. Be sure to buy the right one for your disk (size and interface).

Kees

Collapse -
HE
by Fasan Tope Israel / June 30, 2008 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: external enclosure

WILL IT WORK FOR LAPTOPS, HP.

Collapse -
(NT) Why not?
by Kees Bakker / June 30, 2008 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: HE
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.