Computer Help forum

General discussion

CR3J1 light blinking

by hanselthecaretaker / April 3, 2008 3:16 PM PDT

A friend of mine has a computer problem, according to her something to do with a software error and is unable to access the HDD, encountering a black screen. She brought it over and I looked inside the case, which was very dirty. I cleaned it with canned air, waited a few minutes and then, since she didn't bring her power cord for her tower, I used a power cord from my old computer. When I plugged it in nothing worked, except a blinking CR3J1 light and a faint clicking sound. This continued for a couple minutes even after I disconnected the cord. I also tried taking her HDD and hooking it up to my PC, but perhaps because my copy of XP (she uses XP as well) is OEM and only built for one motherboard, my PC wouldn't read her HDD. It recognized it in BIOS but upon booting XP it took me to a scan screen and verified all segments on her HDD as unreadable. When I tried searching the drive it asked me to format disk, which I obviously didn't want to do.

My main concern is the blinking CR3J1 light. Was it because I tried using a foreign power cord or is something else wrong?

Thank you for any help.

J

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CR3J1 light blinking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CR3J1 light blinking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
thanks
by hanselthecaretaker / April 4, 2008 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this. . .

so is that documentation cross-compatible, because she has a Sony Vaio (sp?) desktop, and the only lighting seen on the MB upon plugging in the PSU is the blinking CR3J1 light. Nothing boots up/shows up on the monitor when pressing power either. Only the clicking sound of what sounds like the PSU or the CR3J1 light. I'll have to take a closer look at the components.

Collapse -
When you post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Post the make and models so we can get the right answers. BUT there was a model motherboard from Intel used by many makers. The +5 V standby power indicator LED (CR3J1) should remain lit steady. If not, the power supply is suspect.

Bob

Collapse -
ok
by hanselthecaretaker / April 4, 2008 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: When you post.

I would but I currently don't have the system with me. I've heard of taking out the CMOS battery to see if it boots without it, and the memory, CPU, etc. Wouldn't there be no power at all if the PSU was bad? The PSU was very dirty though, and it's possible some dust got lodged inside the unit when cleaning.

Collapse -
(NT) Given only the clues so far, the power supply is suspect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ok
Collapse -
Thanks

You were dead on. New PSU is what it needed.

Collapse -
Thanks for the report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2008 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Glad the forums helped you along.

Collapse -
CR3J1
by caktus / April 4, 2008 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: CR3J1 light blinking

The flashing CR3J1 LED may be indicative of stand-by or Hibernate being turned on. But even then you should be able to access the HDD. Have you tried booting to Safe Mode with the HDD in your friends computer?

Charlie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.