PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CPU-Z sees RAM but BIOS & Windows don't

by scottbomb / October 17, 2006 8:08 AM PDT

I think I may have posted this in the wrong section earlier today so since I can't delete the other one, I'll put it here.

I have an Abit A-20 mobo. It has 2 memory slots and is capable of a max. of 2 GB RAM. Ever since I built this computer about 2 yrs. ago, it has run with a single memory stick in slot 1 - a 256 MB DDR-SDRAM Corsair PC2700, part # VS256MB333. As you can see, this systems runs a 333 MHz bus with a 166 MHz FSB.

I bought an EXACT COPY of the memory stick, another Corsair PC 2700 part # VS256MB333. Same stick, same size & type, same brand, same EVERYTHING. I put it in slot 2 and the computer doesn't even see it. I swap the sticks. New stick in slot 1 and old stick in slot 2. The computer now sees the new stick in slot 1 but doesn't see the onld stick that's now in slot 2. both BIOS and Windows only see 256MB when they should see 512.

I thought perhaps slot 2 was bad until I ran CPU-Z. This utility shows detailed info. about the CPU and memory. CPU-Z sees 512 MB RAM. For those unfamiliar with CPU-Z, it also reports the contents of each memory slot and they're BOTH reported, stats and all.

So obviously the slot works and so does the new stick. I have software that can see both memory sticks but neither the BIOS nor Windows (XP Pro) can see the second one. This is very puzzling.

Tonight I will flash the BIOS and do an update to see if that "wakes it up". But like I said earlier, this system is only 2 yrs. old so I doubt the BIOS update will help. It's just the latest revision that addresses other issues and the earlier one supported up to 2 GB anyway. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU-Z sees RAM but BIOS & Windows don't
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU-Z sees RAM but BIOS & Windows don't
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a stellar test. CPUZ read the SPD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 8:30 AM PDT

Which doesn't mean the RAM will work, just that the SPD portion did.

Best of luck.

Bob

Collapse -
Looked on Corsair ...doesn't show an Abit A-20 MB ,,,
by VAPCMD / October 17, 2006 11:38 AM PDT

Who's the system mfg, the series and the model #

Collapse -
I am
by scottbomb / October 19, 2006 2:38 AM PDT

I am the system manufacturer. I built it 1.5 yrs. ago. Abit A-20 is the mobo and Corsair is the ram.

Collapse -
Incorrect combination or bad slot ..
by billzhills / October 19, 2006 7:05 AM PDT

Cannot find the MB model at Abit so this is by gosh and guess ....

1. If their is more than two memory slots on the MB check the manual for proper memory module combinations.

2. Attempt to boot w/ 1 memory module in slot 2.
This will determine if the slot is bad. (See Bob's post on CPU-z)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.