Computer Help forum

General discussion

CPU values in the Bios Set UP

by mh / September 18, 2005 12:15 AM PDT

I bought a new ASUS motherboard (P4GE-MX) with a 2.4 G Celeron CPU for my PC. The BIOS Set Up gives me two values for the CPU: minimum (133) and maximum (266). Which of the two values should I enter?
Thanks,

Martin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU values in the Bios Set UP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU values in the Bios Set UP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What speed DDR memory do you have???
by Ray Harinec / September 18, 2005 2:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
From Martin to Ray on Memory Speed
by mh / September 18, 2005 6:23 AM PDT

Hi, Ray,

At the moment, I have a 128 MRAM memory module. It came with the motherboard. Guess it should be a DDR. Someone has offered me a 512 MRAM DDR module at 266 mhz. Should I go for it?

Thanks for replying to my querry. Really appreciate it.

Best,

Martin

Collapse -
We need the SPEED of the memory.
by Ray Harinec / September 18, 2005 7:13 AM PDT

The amount of memory is not the issue.

I have downloaded the manual fo your mobo. I am a little confused about the BIOS settings. Although the mobo is an entry level mobo, it seems to be offering overclocking capabilities.

Question, the offer of minimum 133 and maximum 266. Does that mean that you can select any value in between??? If so, that allows you to overclock the memory. The fact that the BIOS also allows you to set a lower multiplier also points to an overclocking feature. [the CPU multiplier is top locked, however it can be lowered. Overclockers do this and then overclock the memory].

The confusion to me with the 133 and 266 is DDR memory PC2100 [also called DDR266] memory clock speed is 133 Mhz, however since DDR memory gets read at both the leading edge and the trailing edge of the clock, two reads per clock makes it effectively 266 MHz, thus, to me, the 133 and 266 options are confusing.

Your mobo can take DDR PC 1600 [100/200 MHz], PC 2100 [133/266], or PC 2700 [166/333]. The FSB will either be 400 MHz or 533 MHz depending what memory you have in. Intel's FSB clock is somewhat independent of the memory speed. Quite certain that with PC1600 it will be 400 MHz and with PC2100 or PC 2700 it will be 533 MHz. PC 2700 will give more memory bandwidth and better performance, but not easy to notice.

One think I know virtually nothing about is the Celeron as opposed to the P4.

I am re-looking at the BIOS info in the manual, pages 2-15 and up. On page 2-15 is the DRAM timing schedule set to "by SPF"?

The issues [BIOS settings} confusing me are: Memory frequency , should use AUTO, but not sure why the other options [except possible overclocking/stability purposes], The "CPU Clock Ratio" I don't happen to know what it is in your celeron, however I suspect that it is the highest value that you can enter. The other is the CPU clock, I do not know why this is offered because normally the memory speed sets that. What options does it offer, the manual doesn't show.??

Be sure to read the info on page 2-2 of the manual and make the floppy that they recco. Probably make two and save them in different physical locations.

I really wish that I could provide precise information. You may have to email Asus to try to get an explanation of some, especially the CPU clock.

Later I'll check the Asus site for FAQ's. Jets game on at the moment. LOL

Hope that someone else jumps in with definite answers.

Collapse -
From Martin on your detailed reply
by mh / September 18, 2005 8:22 AM PDT

Hi, Ray,

Many thanks for your detailed explanation and taking the time for helping me. It's been really more than I had expected. You have provided me with much more info than what actually the manual tells me. I must say you have given me very important info with regards to memory modules. As I was not getting all the speed from the PC that I had expected from the mobo, I was thinking to purchase a DDR and did not know which was the most appropriate. I was feeling kind of hesitant. Now I have a very good insight on all of this, which was a lot more confusing to me. I know what to get now. The CPU clock is not highlighted in the Set Up, so I can't see what other values it provides.

Again very appreciative,

All the best,

Martin

Collapse -
However, if you are using
by Ray Harinec / September 18, 2005 9:58 AM PDT

Windows XP, 128 MB is really not adequate. 512 MB is about the level at which adding any more may not be cost effective, although I and most people that I know use 1 GB.

You really should add memory. But you must first know what speed memory you have. You will find that you can buy PC 3200 for lower price than PC 2400 or PC 2700, it should run just fine in your system HOWEVER you must understand the it will only run at the speed of the slowest stick of memory that you have in the computer. Buy the fastest in the event you decide to get a computer/mobo that supports faster memory.

Here's a link to a page in Toni Hackller's website that gives the link to programs that you can download and run [from a floppy if you want]. They will tell you all about your system, print it out and save it. It'll tell you what speed memory you presently have in the system. Belarc etc

http://www.pcwarfare.com/hdd.tools.htm

I'll keep a copy of your manual on my XP system for a few weeks if you have any more questions. I alternate using the XP computer and a seven year old Win 98 SE computer.

Collapse -
On 'speed memory'
by mh / September 18, 2005 12:45 PM PDT

Hi, Ray,

You advise me in your explanation that I "must first know what speed memory you have."

What is "speed memory"? and How could I find out about it? You had previously mentioned that 128 MRAM is not the speed memory, right? I believe my current DDR is a 128 MRAM at 133.

Sorry for the all the bother.

Best,

Martin

Collapse -
The speed of the memory
by Ray Harinec / September 18, 2005 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: On 'speed memory'

is the speed, in MHz, that it is clocked at. SDRAM and DDR SDRAM, and DDR2 SDRAM are all forms of Synchronous Data Random Access Memory. The synchronous refers to the fact that they only transfer data in synchronism with a clock signal.

For years the memory speed was 66 MHz, then they came out with the faster, 100 MHz, 133 MHz, 166 MHz, 200 MHz and then the same with DDR [double data rate] memory whichs transfers data at both the rise and the fall of the clock signal, thus can be referred to as 200, 266, 333, 400. Now there is DDR2 memory which is clocked at higher rates yet.

for DDR: PC 1600 is DDR200, PC 2100 is DDR 266, PC 2700 is DDR 333, PC 3200 is DDR 400, PC 3700 is DDR 466, PC 4000 is DDR 500, PC 4400 is DDR 550, PC 4800 is DDR 600, PC 5600 is DDR 700. The actual clock speed of each type is half of the DDR number. The PC number is basically the memory bandwidth.

The clock speed of the memory is important, because it basically determines the speed of the FSB, which in turn determines the speed that the CPU runs at internally. [these relationships are not exactly directly related in the later CPU's, it gets fairly complex].

If we ignore the subject of overclocking, if you have a mix of different speed memory sticks in a system, they will all be clocked at the speed of the slowest. WHY? Simply because it is synchronous memory and can only run in synchronism with the memory clock. If you were to clock it faster than the speed of the slowest memory, the memory would be erratic and the computer will be very unstable, and may not even run.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?