Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

cpu usage on tartup

by calvin1 / May 24, 2005 9:55 PM PDT

When I start up some time I have my cpu usage at 100 %. it makes all programs run slow and seems to delay or postpond shutdown. I have a 9 3 and am running 2000me It seems a have a pop up on startup that I cannot get rid of. If this does load on startup then cpu runs fine.
thanks
calvin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cpu usage on tartup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cpu usage on tartup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure what a 9 3 is
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 26, 2005 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: cpu usage on tartup

and I haven't heard of 2000me, but have you checked what programs are attempting to start when you boot up?

2 places to try;

1] Start > Programs > Startup - Anything there you do not want to load on startup? Right click the shortcut and delete it.

2] Start > Run > type in "msconfig", (without the quotes), and click OK. Check the Startup tab. Anything there looks suspicious, or you clearly do not want to load on startup, remove the tick. Click Apply, and you will be prompted to restart your computer. On restart, you will see a warning message saying you are on selective startup. You can suppress this message within the warning box.

Mark

Collapse -
cpu Thanks Mark
by calvin1 / May 27, 2005 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure what a 9 3 is

Thank you for your reply I am running mellenium edition 2000 and have a p3 computer. Sorry for the confussion. I have tried the suggestions you have made but it does not seem to help the problem. I cannot find any programs that should not be running. I have done a spy ware scan and run an anti virus program all to no avail.
I notice in your profile that you don't like snow. I am in Nova Scotia and we have had plenty of it this winter. It has now been raining for 17 days in a row.)
You would be use to that.
I will continue trying to resolve the problem. And further suggestion would be appriciated.
By for now
Calvin

Collapse -
May help
by Blue_Zee / May 27, 2005 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: cpu Thanks Mark

Start > Run > type "SCANREG /FIX" (no quotes, space between G and /) press enter and reboot when finished.

Zee

Collapse -
Snow
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2005 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: cpu Thanks Mark

Novia Scotia in the Winter. No doubt it is beautiful countryside, and the people who live here are great people, but as you rightly say, I hate snow!! So I don't think I will be visiting, in the Winter time Happy

Calvin, it is normal for the CPU to max out when the computer is switched on. It's a busy time for the processor as it has so much to do. I can't comment on Blue_Zee's suggestion as I have never run "scanreg" but I am sure that is worth a try.

But if there "is" a delay on startup, then there must be something delaying the CPU. You mention a popup, but didn't say what it was. Is there any clues with that?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.