Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

CPU usage high with "nothing" running

I had to clean a browser hijacker (trovi) off of my system a few days ago after downloading video editing sw from download.com (! - thought it could be trusted). Cleaned the system with Superantispyware and Malwarebytes in Safe Mode (Avira AV didn't see it). Since then, my system has run kind of slow, but last night it was getting bad, so I looked at task manager which showed CPU utilization in the 60-70%'s with no applications running. The Processes tab didn't show anything taking more than 1% including "processes from all users." The crazy thing is that it shows 'System idle process' at 75% and cpu utilization at 70 - huh? Is system idle not that idle?

So, I tried booting in Safe Mode to avoid the startup programs and the CPU was still running at 26%, which makes me think something is up. I have run Avira again and got nothing. Before the browser hijacker, my cpu would run 1-2% after startup.

My system is a hp dc7700 ultra slim with e6300 / 1.86GHZ C2D and 3GB RAM on Win 7 64-bit.

Thanks for any help you can suggest.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU usage high with "nothing" running
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU usage high with "nothing" running
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Expected result in my view.

In reply to: CPU usage high with "nothing" running

You are running a current OS and such on a pretty dated machine. Just the usual indexing and things Windows does will result in CPU hanging around 50% for long periods. Now I'm not at your PC so I can't dive into it to figure which of the WHAT IT SHOULD BE DOING AND IS NOT A BUG THING IT IS THIS TIME but for example that .NET update and re-compile can take folk over the edge hunting for the CPU use for weeks. And that could happen every time .NET updates. A fast machine with loads of RAM helps but this machine doesn't have that.

Also, it could be the old slow possibly failing HDD. But nothing in your post screams that something is wrong. Just that it is dated and if it's the usual, the .net compile or indexing may finish over the next few weeks.
Bob

Collapse -
Interesting thoughts, though...

In reply to: Expected result in my view.

Hmm - that .NET hypothesis is interesting, as it really is acting like that...though it seems that executable would be visible in the Task Manager Processes tab.

This system is actually an upgrade from a few months ago when I was running the same configuration on a P4 hyperthread 541 3.2GHz - the first Intel chip to support Win 7 64-bit. I bought the dc7700, used, from an Amazon retailer, so it's an upgrade! ... us bottom feeders don't like to spend a lot of $$ Happy Also has a new 320GB HDD. Anyway, before this week (and before downloading the CNET downloader and VSDC video editor along with the virus/browser hijacker) the system was running much faster and CPU was usually below 10% - typically spiking to 60-80% when first loading an application,but settling back down once it was loaded. We're not doing any gaming and not much video - mostly Office apps and web browsing on IE and Chrome.

Thanks for your help

Collapse -
Let me share more about NGEN.

In reply to: Interesting thoughts, though...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.