Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CPU usage

by yongtw123 / May 12, 2004 6:40 AM PDT

Recently, I believe a change a setting regarding CPU, which is 1.8 Ghz, on a Windows XP notebook. The steps are:
1. right click "My Computer"
2. click "Properties"
3. click the "Advanced" tab
4. under "Performance", click "Settings"
5. click the "Advanced" tab
6. under something "CPU priority" (I think), or the first box, click "Background Service"
7. click "OK" until you get out of the dialog boxes
I wonder if this setting can really speed up the computer. Also, I find that my CPU fan starts to run furiously, even if my computer is idle. Is there something wrong? I would like to hear some ideas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU usage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU usage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:CPU usage
by Yew / May 12, 2004 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU usage

In regards to your first question, that will bump the process priority of background tasks so that they might preempt your normal sort of app, like say a word processor. It's a setting meant more for systems that might do server duty where you want to give background tasks a higher priority. So, it's more likely to make your system slower rather than faster.

As for the second question, that can be typical for a laptop. A lot of heat is generated by the electronics, and that heat has to go somewhere. Laptops generally don't have a lot of room for heat dissipation like a desktop does, so it's much more important to be proactive about bleeding off heat.

It could also be a sign of spyware and other such garbage. Simple fact of life is that it's just not safe to use Internet Explorer as your main web browser. While maybe not the most common story around, there is the story of some guy who's system was hijacked by a bunch of spyware and the end result is that he now has to register as a sex offender. Look to switching to Mozilla or Opera as soon as you possibly can, and remember that not using IE means not using Outlook Express as well, and adding Windows Media Player to the list might not be a bad idea either. There are plenty of free replacements to be had if you look, many much better. You'd be wise to start searching immediately.

Collapse -
Re:Re:CPU usage
by yongtw123 / May 12, 2004 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:CPU usage

Thanks a lot!
At least now I know background service slows computer down. That sounds like a new concept...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.