Computer Help forum

General discussion

CPU Usage: 100% for no apparent reason

by John Gafnea / December 6, 2003 3:00 PM PST

Okay, my computer is a 1.7 GHz with 512 MB of 2100 DDR memory running XP Pro(I'm not sure what other information is relevant). Anyway in addition to Norton's Auto-Protect being enabled, I run Ad-aware and Spybot almost daily (updating definitions each time) and hardly ever find anything. Normally My CPU usage is below 5%, sometimes though it shoots up to 100% at seemingly random times. When this happens my computer just crawls and if for example I try to open a folder, the inside will just be blank and the cursor turns into an hour glass and the folder will never actually open. One must Ctrl+Alt+Delete and end the task-- only to have it happen again so I always have to restart when this happens. Anyone know what's up? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Usage: 100% for no apparent reason
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Usage: 100% for no apparent reason
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:CPU Usage: 100% for no apparent reason
by HerbChong / December 6, 2003 8:10 PM PST

you still have something on your computer. try more spyware scanners. at least you aren't likely to have a virus. when you look in Task Manager, what processes do you see running and what CPU % are they using?

Herb..

Collapse -
Re:Re:CPU Usage: 100% for no apparent reason
by John Gafnea / December 7, 2003 4:35 AM PST

It's always just explorer.exe that's listed (other than SYSTEM and LOCAL/NETWORK SERVICE processes), and when this happens it will sometimes be up to 80,000 K Mem Usage.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:CPU Usage: 100% for no apparent reason
by HerbChong / December 9, 2003 10:44 AM PST

network service should never be very high. one of two things are happening. your computer is trying to access a network service that doesn't exist and spends its time looking for it, or you have a virus or something like that running and you need to scan again to look for it. scan your system with several different antivirus and spyware/adware programs and the latest definitions.

Herb....

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:CPU Usage: 100% for no apparent reason
by bigLes / May 9, 2004 8:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:CPU Usage: 100% for no apparent reason
by Imgmorley23 / May 18, 2004 8:06 AM PDT

Well the problem would probably be in the condition of the computer. if you know someone who works with computers, have him take open the computer and ask him if he see's any errors, also check the condition of the pentium you have

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.