Computer Help forum

General discussion

CPU upgrading ACER T180 computer

by michaelrjacob / September 4, 2008 1:22 AM PDT

I have an ACER T180 computer AMD3800+ CPU, AM2 socket, ABIT NF M2S motherboard, vista basic OS, BIO revision 2/8/07 Phoenix Technologies R01-B3.

I would like to add a dual core AMD processor.

I would like to know which processors would work and

whether or not the BIOS would need to be upgraded.

I was thinking of using an AMD 5000 CPU.

Please note I have emailed and called ABIT without success and emailed ACER, who refused to help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU upgrading ACER T180 computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU upgrading ACER T180 computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's a list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2008 1:46 AM PDT
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ABIT/NF-M2_nView.html

However you need to see what revision board and BIOS you have to be sure. In closing the CPU heatsink and fan will not be recyclable. You'll get one appropriate for your new CPU. You'll also research if you need a bigger power supply.
Bob
Collapse -
The path of support (if any) for your system is ACER, not.
by VAPCMD / September 4, 2008 1:04 PM PDT

Abit.

ACER contracted with Abit to build and supply the MB for the ACER systems. If ACER won't help ...you're kind of stuck ...the other part is you probably need an updated BIOS to support a newer CPU. If you can't get it from ACER...again you're pretty much stuck.

The lesson is....if you intend to have an upgrade path...don't buy an off the shelf PC from a big box PC mfg. They don't want you to upgrade ...they want you to buy an new PC and hopefully from them.

Sorry I don't have better news ... good luck on your endeavor.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Check and verify
by Willy / September 4, 2008 2:28 PM PDT

Acer is your primary info source, thus visit the support website. Once there, review the specs as they related to model#. They should provide a cpu listing of supported cpus. Now, if you need a bios update because you need to expand upon the current support listing, *hopefully* the bios update should explain this. Acer support if lacking in such details, you basically have no recourse. The new cpu may drop-in, etc. but since a bios update is required to acknowledge its full benefits could a dead horse. Thus, the cpu listing should point to the cpus allowed. As Robert offered you need to know the revision or besides the model#, what truly is present, the bios ID string when 1st boot-up is displayed and you see what bios level you're at.

While you know the mtrbd.. info and maker, you use that only as a last resort and even more important if you go that route, that you "SPECIFICALLY" know what is required or needed to proceed so you don't create a doorstop. There are no guarantees on this but you have to be sure all info applies to your system as you know it, period. If you do a bios update be sure to be ready and *save* the old bios data in case you need to return to it if things don't work well provided you can. Have all the data and pgms. that maybe required and print out the procedure. FYI, I have done this on various systems not just Acer but I triple checked beforehand. Let's be clear, you proceed at your own risk.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
T180 is upgradable
by -x-TRIPWIRE-x- / August 29, 2009 2:54 PM PDT

I also have the same computer. I have an ACER T180 and it was given to me because the previous owner had multiple issues. Well, I install a new HDD and Windows XP SP3 and it works great. T180 had AMD 64 3500+ single core and I upgraded the bios and installed a AMD 64 x2 6400+ in its place. First thing you need to do is upgrade the bios to the R1-C0 version before upgrading the CPU. Here's the link to the bios: http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/ You might also want to consider upgrading the power supply as well considering that the 3500+ is a 45 Watt CPU and the higher end AMD CPU's are 89-125 Watts. The stock PSU is only 250 watts. I installed a Raidmax RX-530SS power supply, 750 GB HDD, 2 Gig DDR2 PC6400 RAM, and a Sapphire HD 3870 512MB 256 bit graphics card and I am able to play anygame out there. I also modded the Front I/O connector so I can install other mobo's beside the T180 model and I did a LED Mod on the Power button, Power LED, and HDD Led on top making them all blue leds instead of red and green.

Collapse -
Here ya go!
by -x-TRIPWIRE-x- / August 29, 2009 3:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) You're probably too late to help the original poster.
by VAPCMD / August 30, 2009 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Here ya go!
Collapse -
acer t180
by Patiflaco / January 25, 2013 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: Here ya go!

how can i convert my system from 32 bit to installing a 64 bit?

Collapse -
You'll Need To Reinstall The Operating System, Plus....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: acer t180

BEFORE you do so, make sure to hunt down ALL of the 64 bit drivers for your computer. I haven't checked your specific computer, but they may not exist. If they don't exist, don't move to 64 bit. If they do, check the computer manufacturer's website first and if not there, check the device manufacturer's website.... You'll need the chipset/motherboard driver, video, audio, ethernet, wireless, and every other driver in a 64 bit version. If they exist, burn a copy to a CD so you can install them after you've purchased and installed the 64 bit operating system.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
and upgrading to windows 7?
by Patiflaco / January 26, 2013 1:25 PM PST

Well my system is Windows Vista 32 bit, what if I ugrade it to Windows 7 64 bit? Windows 7 should have all the drivers shouldn't it?

Collapse -
Re: drivers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 6:49 PM PST

No. Windows has a selection of drivers for the most common hardware. Definitely not for all hardware.

Kees

Collapse -
You'll Still Need To Find All the Win7 Drivers For Your Comp
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 2:25 AM PST

Occasionally, Vista drivers will work with Windows 7, but not always, and more importantly, since you're going to 64 bit, they'll all be something different... As stated earlier, you'll need to find, download and save all the 64 bit drivers for Win7, so you can install them after the new operating system is on the machine..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?