PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CPU Temperature

by datalookup / September 4, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

I'm installing Windows XP on a system with an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU 1.67GHz. It runs rather hot 75C during the install process. Is this normal?? At what temp does it burn out? Normal operation temp is 65C. Any advice in this matter is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Temperature
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Temperature
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a bit warm
by ozos / September 4, 2005 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU Temperature

iirc AMD's max spec on that chip is 80* C

Collapse -
Tell us much more about your physical
by Ray Harinec / September 4, 2005 7:46 AM PDT

system, the number of fans, their location, the direction that they push air. You should be able to do 10 C degrees better with very little effort.

They have a temp sensor diode that provides an output to the mobo. If the mobo has the protective circuit on it, it will shut the system down.

Better check on the mobo.

Silicon melts above 1000C, transistor action still occurs above 200 C, however the other components of the CPU structure will burst into flame well below that. LOL

The CPU could possibly run at 90 C for years [if the circuit didn't shut it down], HOWEVER let's not push it. Get the temp down a minimum of 5 C, try for 15.

Collapse -
depends on the chip, Intel's wont
by ozos / September 7, 2005 8:40 AM PDT

I know of no Intel chip capable of running at over 80* C and not melting down

and Silicon's melting point is over 2000* C if I remember correctly, but it's the actual transistors (which are not silicon as I recall) will melt at a much much lower temperature

AMD's max limit is around 80-90*C

the issue is the voltage's are sparatic at those temperatures, it's not the heat so much as it's the voltage that kills it

honestly I say you need that CPU running 40* C cooler

Collapse -
Intel chips shut down
by Ray Harinec / September 7, 2005 12:12 PM PDT

automatically before they'll get to 80 C, wouldn't bet on them melting at that temp.

Transistor action continues well above 80 C.

Simply read the latest thermal analysis papers data available from the Intel site and you see that some models using the Intel retail box HSF get very close to 80 C when dissipating the maximum rated power.

They test using 40 C air to the HSF, but with the CPU they provide a piece of paper saying to keep the air in the vicinity of the HSF at 38C or lower.

I am certain that you have read the tomshardware tests of the dual cores, Intel vs AMD, where the peak AMD power is lower than the average power of the Intel dual core. They also show the temps.

I don't make this stuff up.

Collapse -
Just as an example that it doesn't melt
by Ray Harinec / September 7, 2005 12:45 PM PDT

The testing cycle that Intel uses to determine long term reliability is to run 1000 cycles of Max temp 85C Minimum -40 C [we all know that -40 C = -40 F, correct? LOL] They dwell at the max and the min temp for 15 mins each cycle.

Also note that the thermal data is run with the thermistor contacting the heat spreader [notched into the Heatsink base]. Thus the temps that they quote are that of the heat spreader, they don't spec the actual core temp of the die any longer.

If you ever watched the max temps of the AMD early Athlons climb magically [because they couldn't keep them any cooler], one must realize that it was the exact same silicon device that they once spec'd at 85 C, then magically 90 C, then finally 95 C. What magic did they work? NONE, just decided that they had no other choice.

AMD now has heat spreaders and that accounts for some of the lower ratings. I had seen the thermal coefficient for the core to heat spreader, but don't have it handy.

Collapse -
Re: CPU Temperature
by JamesJ / September 5, 2005 6:53 PM PDT

It may not be "too" hot, but it's far from what I would call normal. As someone else said, some details about your case, and the room temperature, may help put things in a better perspective, but that is almost certainly much hotter than it should be.

Where are you getting this temperature? From the BIOS or from some software program or ??? If it's from the BIOS, it should presumably be fairly accurate (barring some kind of hardware problem, like a bad sensor). If it's from a software program, it may just be configured incorrectly. For example, the program I'm using gives me several sensor inputs to choose from, only some of which are correct for my system. If I choose one of the others, I get temperature readings that are way out of whack.

I would not expect the install process (I assume you mean installing Windows XP) to push the CPU very hard. I would expect the process to be more I/O bound (meaning the CPU spends a lot of time waiting for the hard or CD drive). I could be wrong about that, but if I'm right, I wouldn't expect the CPU temp to rise much, if at all, during the Windows installation. Even if I'm wrong, 75 C is still much higher than normal.

I have an Athlon XP 2000+. As I recall, the "maximum die temperature" for my CPU was supposed to be 90 C, but even if that's right, your 2000+ might be different. AMD produced different models of a lot of the Athlon CPU's. I think that included the 2000+, but I'm not sure offhand. An AMD document from 2003, listing Athlon models from 500 MHz to the 3200+, lists maximum die temperatures from 70 C to 100 C, depending on the model. At the very least, your CPU is probably somewhere in that range.

According to the software I'm using, and the temperature sensor in my motherboard, my Athlon XP 2000+ is currently running at about 50 C at 100 % usage (I'm running SETI@Home, which uses the CPU whenever it's available, so my CPU is basically always running at 100 %). This is somewhat cooler than normal since the case is open. OTOH, there's probably a fairly good coating of dust built up on the heatsink, so it could probably actually be a bit cooler. The room temperature is probably around 75 F (about 24 C).

YMMV, depending on where you're getting the temperature (software, BIOS, etc.), where the sensor is located, the room temperature and the specifics of your case, but 75, and even 65, seems way higher than it should be, or needs to be. I seem to recall getting temps around 60 C at one point (again, with the CPU usage at 100 %), when my system setup was different. I considered that kind of borderline. Not "too" hot, but hotter than I liked. I don't know what you mean by "normal operation temp", but if that means when the system is basically idle, 65 C seems even more out of line.

If you're getting the temperature from a program, see if there are other sensors you can choose from. Perhaps you chose one that isn't correct for your motherboard and is giving you false readings. Or see if there is a place in the BIOS that will show you the CPU temperature.

If the temperature readings are accurate, maybe your heatsink isn't mounted properly or maybe the fan isn't spinning properly. If this is not a new system, make sure the heatsink isn't just caked with dust. Try simply opening the case and leaving it open and see what effect that has on the temperature.

James

Collapse -
CPU Temperature
by jcrobso / September 8, 2005 6:15 AM PDT

I have an AMD XP2000+ yes they run hot.
Go into BIOS and look at the PC health page and see what the temp is. I just got a bigger heat sink and fan for mine, temps around 40c now. Also as the other post said make sure that the heat sink is clean, they can fill up whit dust. john

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?