PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CPU Temp Gets Up To 90

by lilyput76 / October 26, 2008 4:31 PM PDT

This is driving me nuts. My laptop is a 2001 HP Pavilion. It started to overheat last year when I would play video games, so I purchase a cooling fan & a small fan to run behind it. It worked great up until I updated a System Device. I can't recall which one, but it added a bunch of new items that begin with ACPI. Since then, my computer gets really hot even with the additional fans running. I researched online & figured it might be my thermal heatsink.

I downloaded a program to show me how hot my CPU gets & on idle, it was at around 53

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Temp Gets Up To 90
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Temp Gets Up To 90
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how long
by nud12 / October 26, 2008 6:37 PM PDT
In reply to: CPU Temp Gets Up To 90

How long have you got that laptop, that's hot indeed, maybe you need to clean it, there is something wrong with the fan. Or have you tired a laptop cooler for it?

Collapse -
RE: how long
by lilyput76 / October 27, 2008 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: how long

I've had the laptop since 2002 & purchased a cooler & an small table fan last year when it started overheating. When I opened up the laptop to apply the thermal compound, I cleaned out the fans, too. Do you think I should replace the fans?

Collapse -
you've either lost speedstep or a fan is going bad
by ramarc / October 27, 2008 12:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: you've either lost speedstep or fan is going bad
by lilyput76 / October 27, 2008 9:23 AM PDT

Here are the specs:
*HP Pavilion ze4800 (though, when I update on HP's site it says I have a Compaq Presario 2100)
*2.12GHz/508MHz Athlon XP2800+
*Radeon IGP 320M (found out that AMD has forgotten about this processor, so no updates since)
*512MB of RAM
*55.8GB Hard Drive

Not sure what speedstep is, but if has altered my fan speed, how do I fix this?

Should I try replacing the fan?

Collapse -
suggestions
by ramarc / October 28, 2008 12:29 AM PDT

download and install AMD processor driver from this page. it will add/enable any missing CPU power management features. also download and install the GART driver from this page.

Collapse -
suggestions
by lilyput76 / October 31, 2008 5:40 PM PDT
In reply to: suggestions

All my drivers are up-to-date. I did a driver update as soon as it started overheating. I'm hesitant to download anymore suggest software (I've download 5-6 suggested programs so far) to help solve my problem. If it comes down to it, I'll check out that page.

Collapse -
those drivers i linked to are straight from AMD
by ramarc / November 1, 2008 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: suggestions

they could fix your problem. if your drivers are indeed up-to-date, you have nothing to lose since you'll just be reinstalling the same drivers and reinstalling often fixes problems.

Collapse -
RE: those drivers i linked to are straight from AMD
by lilyput76 / November 1, 2008 8:11 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion. I think you misunderstood. I already have the updated drivers installed, downloaded from AMD a few weeks ago, before I posted this thread.

I resolved the overheating problem. My fan was failing - not spinning smoothly. The fan has been replaced & all is well now.

Thank you again for your help! I appreciate it!

Collapse -
let's get to work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2008 9:31 AM PDT

First the memory is right on. Some is used for the video display. Don't spend much time on that.

I missed what OS is running but I'm going with XP.

-> At this age if it was my machine I'd do the usual teardown, clean off the fans, the old heatsink compound, put on fresh heatsink compound and button up the clean machine.

Now that it's all back together I would install SPEEDSWITCHXP and try it at the lower CPU speeds and see if that helps.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: let's get to work
by lilyput76 / October 31, 2008 5:46 PM PDT
In reply to: let's get to work.

I did the teardown, dusting, & replaced the heatsink compound before making original post. The CPU temp went from 53 degress on idle to around 35 degrees. It's much cooler on idle, but the temperature hikes way up when I run something like disk cleanup.

I have something similar to speedswitchxp which lowers CPU speeds, but it slows down my computer a lot. Maybe I'll uninstall that program & replace it with speedswitchxp. I'll let you know how it goes.

Collapse -
reset the system and the RAM question
by PcTestCard / October 27, 2008 6:08 PM PDT

Hi,

The Ram shows only 448 because you allocated total 64mb to video. your laptop came with onboard VGA card.
512 - 64mb RAM for video display = 448MB RAM for system.

In order to discharge and reset the whole laptop, please remove all removable devices such as external KB/Mouse, PC cards or DVD drive( if removable) and take the battery and the Ac adapter away from the laptop.
Then pressing down the power button over 15 seconds and press a few times after that, this will reset the laptop and discharge the static on the laptop.

Then, ONLY connecting the AC adapter to the laptop and power on the laptop and reset the BIOS.

By doing this is to make sure there is no system conflict and the CPU is not doing extra works.

Also check the network and HDD activitiy, make sure there is not application keeping the HDD and network loading and thus heat up the CPU.

Hope this helps!
Bill

Collapse -
RE: reset the system and the RAM question
by lilyput76 / October 31, 2008 5:51 PM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed your instructions to reset my system. Everything seems the same, though. On idle, it's cool (around 35 degrees C), but when loading or running programs, it gets up to 80-90C.

Someone suggested the fan needs replacing. I have a spare fan & can replace it, if that's the case.

Collapse -
replace fan to keep cooler system
by PcTestCard / October 31, 2008 8:20 PM PDT

Yes, replace the fan if you have spare unit make help.

Collapse -
RE: Fan Replacement
by lilyput76 / November 1, 2008 5:16 AM PDT

While I was in the middle of adding heatsink compound to the new fan (the heatsink is attached to the fan, in my case), I noticed how easily the new fan spun when you blew on it. So, I thought to see if the old fan spun as easily. I blew on the old fan & it didn't spin at all.

I think we've solved the problem. Now, the temps are around 43

Collapse -
Sure the temp readings are accurate ?
by VAPCMD / November 1, 2008 1:37 AM PDT

Suggest trying PCWizard 2008

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Among the many many things it does, it can report real time temps that are visible on screen when you check the 'Processor' icon and minimize the program.

Adding more RAM would definitely improve performance...won't help the temp issue. Exactly what model HP Pavilion notebook is that ?

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?