PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CPU temp 50C

I just built my first computer and was checking the CPU temp through the bios and it was at 49 to 50C with no load. Is this too high? I'm not sure what determines just what the CPU temperature should be, but my components are:

MOB: DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250GB
CPU: AMD athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle (Socket 754)
HD: WD 160Gb serial ATA 150 7200rpm
Video Card: ATI Radeon X700 PRO AGP 256mb
Mem: OCZ Ultra High performance Dual Channel Kit 1Gig 3200 (2 x 512mb)
Monitor: Viewsonic VA1912b
Optical Drives: Lite-On DVD and Plextor DVD burner
Power: Antec True power 480W

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU temp 50C
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU temp 50C
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That temp is fine.

In reply to: CPU temp 50C

Collapse -
Might be a good idea to

install a program that will allow you to monitor temp while the sytem is doing various level stress tasks.

Such as "Speed Fan". Google it.

Collapse -
This is my first time

In reply to: Might be a good idea to

building a computer, so I appreciate your help. I am going to google your suggestion. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Well you came to the best forums.

In reply to: This is my first time

There are many really helpful people here.

Feel free to ask as many questions and as often as necessary. If you do not understand a reply fully, simply ask for more of an explanation.

Always nice, if you then let us know if you got the problem solved.

Collapse -
By the way.

As you may find, many prefer to try to get that temp lower. And with improved case cooling and maybe a better HSF you can get the idle down to 38 to 40 C.

It just isn't necessary unless you are a gamer and the running temo gets into the 60 C's.

I only use caes with top exghaust fan and a side fan that blows in. These in combination with a rear exhaust fan [in addition to that of the power supply].

Most cases come with more locations to locate fans, than fans that they provide. If you add any fans, get dual ball bearing type, they last longer.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice!

In reply to: By the way.

I'm going to get the program to check the temp when the pc is used for gaming, and then if I need more cooling I'll check out the fans as you suggested. Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.