HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

CPU spiking when idle

by OnlineBurn / April 17, 2011 10:31 AM PDT

It seems that when I leave my laptop alone to go into sleep mode, the CPU keeps spiking at rather random intervals. Sometimes it spikes to 30% on one core just for a second.

I have it set to dim display at 5 minutes, turn monitor off at 15 minutes, and to sleep at 20 minutes. It seems that just before the screen turns off, at about 14 minutes the BFE service and svchost.exe (defragsvc) take up about 50% of my CPU!!

I have also seen the ssdp discovery service running and taking up some CPU power aswell

This is a relatively new windows 7 installation, so I don't know what went wrong. I installed it on the 12th and don't want to format again because the updates may push me over my internet bandwidth limit.

Are these kind of spikes normal??
I am EXTREMELY paranoid of viruses and malware

So far I have run a full scan of Microsoft security essentials, Malwarebytes anti malware, and Spybot search and destroy, none have found anything at all.

Before the reformat I haven't experienced anything like these spikes. I don't know if that's because I haven't been paying attention to it this much, or if something has infected me, or if something is wrong with my windows 7 installation...

All help is greatly appreciated!

OnlineBurn has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU spiking when idle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU spiking when idle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by OnlineBurn

Collapse -
Might be normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2011 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU spiking when idle

Windows 7 is by far the least "quiet" of the Windows OSes. That is, it is normal for it to spike like that as it indexes or does something else.

However I find most folk are blissfully unaware that we still must find and install drivers for our machines even when Windows 7 seems to have found them all. For example my last install had me install Intel's storage manager even though I didn't have RAID.

You also write SPYBOT which conflicts with some apps today. I'd remove that.
Bob

Collapse -
I guess I should calm down.
by OnlineBurn / April 17, 2011 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Might be normal.

I guess that's true :/ I'm going to be using my linux partition more often...

I'm almost completely sure I have all of my drivers. Possibly one or two of them may be old... or I may have forgotten to install on or two of them...

Oh yes and for spybot I uninstalled it right after it gave me the information that I was clean, I usually never use it but I just needed a third thumbs up to calm my virus paranoia

Thanks yet again Bob, you're a life saver.
The stress would have driven me insane...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.