Computer Help forum

General discussion

CPU spiking after removal of antivirus xp 2008

by lil-bon / August 8, 2008 2:09 AM PDT

Hey,

Recently I was plagued with Antivirus XP 2008. It turned my background blue with a spyware message and popped up with windows security alert saying I have random different infections depending on which time it opened. Only giving me the option to get protection(of course I didnt lcik it, just closed it). I used malwarebytes and multiple other spyware removal tools. I run McAfee anti-virus and that initially caught some things but not all. After reading through hundreds of forums around the net I found a solution (or so I thought) I was instructed to download superANTIspyware remover. As well as vundofix. Also two other programs that I already had. McAfee would not pick anything up. Malwarebytes originally removed some tracking cookies and one adware program. Then after getting my background back to normal and almost feeling good about it, I continued to get windows security alerts any time I would scan or open the internet.(for the same spyware warning). After using SuperAntiSpyware remover, it detected multiple things and fixed them.

I no longer recieve the pop ups from windows security. BUT now my cpu performance is hovering around 50-60% and every 3-5 seconds spiking to 100% and back down. At one point my firewall asked if I wanted to allow Mcafee backup to be allowed to acces the internet and I said "allow". Not sure if that has anything to do with it. This cpu spike happens when there are no programs open and my mouse not moving.

I have multiple svchosts running(more than I had ever seen before) and I have a sneaking suspicion I am seeing more processes than I should. (all of my anti-virus and spyware removal is up to date)

Please help, what could this be!!!!

It is a Gateway dual core running Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU spiking after removal of antivirus xp 2008
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU spiking after removal of antivirus xp 2008
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just A Suggestion..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 7:57 AM PDT

The malware you had previously could easily have affected McAfee. It would be nice to know exactly which version of McAfee you're using, (RIGHT click on the McAfee icon in the lower right corner, choose "About VirusScan" or something similar), but either way, please uninstall McAfee completely from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section, including all other programs in the McAfee suite, then restart the computer.. Does that fix the problem?

If so, then try reinstalling McAfee and see if it runs correctly now.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ok. So your suggestion worked in a different light.
by lil-bon / August 8, 2008 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Just A Suggestion..

IT was not McAfee, I uninstalled it and restarted... same issue. So then I looked down the list of anti spyware i had downloaded for this problem and started un-installing. It stopped after I un-installed SUPERAntiSpywear remover, as well as Spy Sweeper. It would appear that the two do not like each other. I was unaware that super anti spy actually runs as though it is providing constant protection....but its not unless you buy it. So, now I hope the problem is solved for good. Thank you for your time!

Grif Rocks!

Collapse -
Antivirus XP Help, runtime errors during Malwarebytes instal
by ln06 / August 9, 2008 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Just A Suggestion..

Antivirus XP 2008 got installed on my computer last night, and I immediately googled it to find your site. I downloaded Malwarebytes, but during install came up with two run time errors. The first one is a 'vbAccelerator SGrid II Control' saying "Run-time error '0'" and the second is 'Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' saying "Run-time error '440': Automation error". What can I do to fix this? I haven't seen anyone else have this problem, what is wrong with my computer??

Collapse -
No Need To Post A Duplicate...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 9, 2008 6:30 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.