PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CPU speed

I just reinstaled XP home edition and now my computer will randomly restart...or sometimes not start at all (it sounds like jsut the fans turn on) when i resently started it up the BIOS setup utility came up and said that during the last bootup the system hung for improper CPU speed.

i have an AMD 1900+ on an Asus AZN226 and 768 mb ddr

it says the CPU speed is set at 1200MHz how do i fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CPU speed

In reply to: CPU speed

"my computer will randomly restart...or sometimes not start at all"

This is typical of an overtaxed power supply, bad motherboard capacitors and bad ram.

Try this. For this size machine, something like a 450 Watt supply should be fitted, the case cover left off, the motherboard capacitors checked for bulging/leaks and exactly 512MB RAM.

The no-boot points to hardware issues you need to solve before you burnup a CPU or motherboard.

Bob

Collapse -
Until you make the solutions that Robert

has made be happy that the CPU is not running at speed. The bad shutdowns have probably forced the system to set the BIOS's FSB/Memeory bus speeds to the lowest value to try to protect your CPU.

Collapse -

thanks for your help guys! ill go right out and get that power supply...about the memory...should i take out the 256 memory card? u said i should have exactly 512? What if i buy another 512 and have a gig? is that ok? I've also got an ATI 9200 video card in there.

Collapse -
What Operating System???

In reply to: Re: CPU speed

Win 98 and ME have problems with over 512 MB [ it's funny because it gives notices that you do not have enough memory].

Win XP usually can do a little better with more memory.

Collapse -

OK so the problem has gotten a little worse. I went out and bought a 500w power supply and a brand new cd burner.....hook it all up and the cd drives will not open. (but the computer still boots up) if i just hook it up to the mother board and the cd drive it will open...my friend thinks my mother board is on its way out maybe the processor too. Before i ws running a 300w power supply. which you said was not enough.

any help greatly appreciated
-MARC

Collapse -
How to do a basic CDROM drive test.

Just plug in the power to the CDROM drive and not the WIDE IDE cable. If the drive doesn't open and close from the front panel, then the drive has failed.

My bet is the power wasn't connected.

Bob

Collapse -
Time to troubleshoot. Robert suggested

3 possible causes. Certainly didn't suggest adding another device before finding the cause. LOL One thing at a time.

Lets strip the system down to the basics and see what we find. Disconnect all drives [both power and signal cables], remove all cards except video [first step is normally without the video card and monitor, but let's try with the video card in and monitor connected. Also leave the keyboard connected, but remove the mouse. Get down to one stick of memory [if you have two, we may try one at a time, if things don't work]. You have the CPU with HSF, one stick of memory, and the front panel items connected.

In this minimal configuration turn the system on and hopefully get a single beep and get into the BIOS. If you get into the BIOS, set the memory speed or the FSB that will get the proper CPU speed. We don't know what speed memory you are using. Different BIOS's use different ways to set the CPU speed [some say FSB some say memory speed]. The CPU speed is determined by the memory speed times the fixed multiplier built into the CPU. You need to check the manual.

Does your system use SDRAM or DDR SDRAM? I'll try to look up the specs on the mobo while you try this.

This trobleshooting isolates the problem to the basic things, will assume that the new power supply is good so it's mobo, memory, or CPU heating [not too likely in this case]. Capacitor problem requires careful looking at the large capacitors on the mobo for signs of puffing up or leaking a substance around them.

Robert has posted a link to photos of bad caps, do a search for capaciotrs or leaky capacitors or bad capacitors in these forums.

Collapse -
Just read your first post again.

In reply to: Time to troubleshoot. Robert suggested

You say DDR, thus your FSB [or memory bus speed] to set the CPU speed correctly would be a value of twice the basic memory speed.

I may be confused. Is it simply the CD-ROM /burner that is the only problem????

Collapse -
Re: Just read your first post again.

In reply to: Just read your first post again.

ok now you guys are getting too complex. Here's what happened.....You reccomended a new power supply so i went out and bought a 500w one coming from a 300w. Put that in...The computer booted up fine. windows worked. However neither CD-ROM drive would open. The computer was recognizing my TDK CD-RW but not my normal CD drive. When you tried to access the TDK through my computer the wondow would frezze. Neither Drive will open. So my TDK wasnt working before (it would read CDs but could not burn) so i figured i'd go out and just buy a new one. So i did. I went out bought a new CD-RW. Instaled it..same problem the door will not open. So we just hooked up the power supply so that JUST the new CD-RW was hooked up and it opened fine. so theres nothing wrong with it and its BRAND NEW

Collapse -
Re: Just read your first post again.

In reply to: Re: Just read your first post again.

Alright guys after looking at my capacitors i think some are bulging and one is leaning over slightly...Does this mean my mother board is fried? What is this caused by? How can i tell if the procesor is alright or not? Thanks,
Marc

Collapse -
My bulging capacitor story.

In reply to: Re: Just read your first post again.

I had a few bulging capacitor motherboards at the office. They went unstable and I slipped in 550W PSUs and that stabilized them. But the next month, one almost caught on fire as the capacitor failed and fried. The next machine just went downhill after it worked fine for a month.

Capacitors do NOT BULGE! It's a bad sign and you need to push the board supplier to replace your board.

Here's the GOOGLE on the issue:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=bad+motherboard+capacitors

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Can't find any ASUS mobo with number like that.

Collapse -
Re: (NT) Can't find any ASUS mobo with number like that.

In reply to: (NT) Can't find any ASUS mobo with number like that.

thats what the box says

Collapse -
Certainly, I'll take your word for it. Was just

In reply to: Re: (NT) Can't find any ASUS mobo with number like that.

looking to see if it was of the vintage where the capacitor problem is probable.

No such number listed in their current products or archived products.

Closest seems to be the A7V266 -MX. Uses VIA's KM 266 architecture.

Doesn't matter. If you have bulging or leaky capacitors you need them replaced or a new mobo.

Collapse -
Re: Certainly, I'll take your word for it. Was just

In reply to: Certainly, I'll take your word for it. Was just

it's about 3 years old

Collapse -
3 years is about right.

In reply to: Re: Certainly, I'll take your word for it. Was just

If you review the articles I noted, you find similar dates when the bad capacitor issue started.

Your motherboard supplier should exchange the board since they used defective parts.

Bob

Collapse -
And be sure to let us know how

things turn out.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.