PC Hardware forum

Question

CPU Second Core problem, cant enable it through msconfig.

CPU : Amd 370K Black Edition 2X (4.2Ghz max Turbo mode)

Video card : Sapphire Radeon HD7750 1GB GDDR5 PCIE DX11

Motherboard : MB MSI FM2-A55M-P33, FSB5200MTS

RAM : 8GB

Recently i bought a new PC (custom made) and from the start i could not notice that its strugling to preform many tasks at once (utorrent,spotify,browser,steam). It has this little lag once in a while. Also i was unpleasantly surprised how games preformed, my friend with, supposedly, weaker PC had good performance i desktop as in games and had no problems. So i decided to look whats the problem and why do i have performance issues.
I noticed in task manager that i had :
Max speed : 4Ghz
1 socket
1 core
2 virtual processors (I don't know what these do )
So i tried to put 2 cores from msconfig, tried checking, unchecking

the "number of processor" box and restarting. After restart in msconfig it shoved 2 cores, but my task manager still shoved one core with max of 4ghz.
Tried to look around forums but i just got more confused (i'm not good with PC hardware)

As i understand "dual core processor 4.2Ghz" means that 2 X 4.2Ghz = 8.4Ghz, and now i feel screwed by the guys who made the PC

So is there something in the bios that i might missed or something else ?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Second Core problem, cant enable it through msconfig.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Second Core problem, cant enable it through msconfig.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
no help

In reply to: CPU Second Core problem, cant enable it through msconfig.

Soo I tryed updating drivers and reinstaling windows nothing helped. I downloaded PC Wizard and it still shows that one core is runing at 4ghz but other at 1mhz(i think it means that its off), Also i called the guys who made the PC they said that if i have cpu0 and cpu1 all is good, but as i understand cpu0 is avrage of all cpus and that means i have only one working. Didnt update BIOS because i dont want to risk ricking my PC.

Collapse -
So the BIOS is out of date?

In reply to: no help

Time to make that a warranty issue.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Looks fine here.

That is, I've seen Windows miscount or mis-represent CPUs it doesn't know about. This CPU is a dual core and can support 2 threads (one per core) so nothing seems terribly amiss. You may want to check if the motherboard BIOS is current and if there are any drivers for the motherboard they forgot.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
2 Cores

Did you look in Device manager to see what is listed under PROCESSORS? That would be the first place to look, not msconfig, then on to Bios, settings.

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: 2 Cores

Yes, i looked there and under the processors it lists both 2 processors

Collapse -
2 cores

In reply to: Yes

If that be the case and there are NO errors shown at the processor (device manager) you are running a basic dual core system. IF there were errors, yellow asterisk...I'd worry about it..if not...it is what it is..

Collapse -
Processor

In reply to: Yes

It is NOT 2 processors, it is 2 legs..Google dual core processors vs single, etc....hyperthread etc. etc.maybe then it will make sense to you as to the functionality...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.