Computer Help forum

General discussion

CPU runs at 100% when on battery. Why?

by smartinez281 / November 3, 2008 12:52 PM PST

So I have an HP Pavilion dv5217cl(Laptop)
Win XP
Processor- AMD Turion 64 ML-34

My laptop runs fine when I have it hooked to the charger, but whenever i unhook the charger and just run on battery the cpu usage goes up to 100% on multiple occasions.
Is it because this is a new battery?
I have ran trough various Anti Virus and Spyware programs but they have not helped.
Also
When I had the original manufacturer battery, I did not have this type of problem. I was reading on some forum not to long ago that I need to adjust my BIOS.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU runs at 100% when on battery. Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU runs at 100% when on battery. Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
response
by JP Bill / November 3, 2008 1:08 PM PST

Did you open Task Manager, and look in the Processes Tab, and see which Process is using the CPU?

Collapse -
If You Know The CPU Is At 100%, Which Program???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2008 1:11 PM PST

...is causing it to peak.. The Task Manager should identify which specific program is causing the problem..

Or do you simply mean the computer slows a great deal when it's on battery? If that's the case, you can change the emphasis from battery to performance, or from performance to battery by checking in the Power Management section of your Display settings.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by smartinez281 / November 3, 2008 1:18 PM PST
Collapse -
UPDATE
by smartinez281 / November 3, 2008 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: REPLY
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / November 3, 2008 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: UPDATE
Collapse -
Strange That Firefox Is Running So High.. Does ??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 4, 2008 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: UPDATE

...Doe Firefox also show high CPU if you close Firefox? If so, then I would certainly follow the steps provided by JPBill above and if that doesn't help, try uninstalling, then reinstalling FF.

Another possibility would be malware.. If you haven't use the Malwarebytes scanner, please try using the instructions below to run a scan with the free tool listed:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the link below:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
CPU runs at 100% when charing my battery. Why?
by markypogi / July 14, 2010 12:45 AM PDT

Has this been solved? I'm having a similar problem! Only the other way around... My laptop's CPU runs at 100% when I plugin my charger!

From an average of 95% utilization, it drops to 3% when I remove my charger!

laptop model: HP Compaq 6510b, WinXP SP2

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.