Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

CPU running at 100%

I am running win Xp, service pack 3 in Spanish.

The Windows Task Manager is showing CPU usage of 100% most of the time even when no programs are loading or executing. This makes the computer to run very sluggish, even locking up sometimes.

I noticed in the Task Manager that there are 2 idle processes ruining one is "proceso inactivo del sistema" (which means idle process) and one that reads "RstIdle.exe".

When I force the shut down of Rstidle.exe the CPU usage goes to normal operation.

After a while the Rstidle turns back on and the CPU usage goes back to 100%.

Why are there 2 idle processes running??? One in Spanish and one in English.

How do I stop (or get rid of) Rstidle.exe to restart ???

I've checked the system for viruses and took out some viruses the Avast AV didn't catch.

Any ideas, Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU running at 100%
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU running at 100%
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
rstidle

In reply to: CPU running at 100%

rstidle is part of some Sonic BackOnTrack program, so it would stand to reason if you get rid of that, you'll get rid of that problem. The other idle process is normal and should be there. It confuses the crap out of a lot of people who don't stop to think about it being an IDLE process, but nothing we can do about it, you'll have to take it up with Microsoft's developers.

Collapse -
Idle Process

In reply to: rstidle

Is there because the programmers at Microsoft put it there.

Use it for comparison for what it should be (90-99%) vs. what other process is running. System Idle process will always drop when another process is using CPU time, rate will be proportional, or close to the other process running.

Without Idle process, one would not know what was slowing the system down, as the CPU is limited as to how many processes it can run simultaneously. Actually, processes are run in instances of time, and the processor will drop a process for a moment depending on the priority demanded by the process.

Microsoft uses RealTime, High, Above Normal, Normal, Below Normal, Low to tell the CPU what level to run the process.

You can check this by right-clicking a process in Task Manager, (any process will do) and selecting Set Priority in drop-down list.

IMPORTANT: I do not recommend changing any process priority unless you know what you are doing. You can make your system unstable or damage it if changes are made here without knowledge of consequences.

You have been warned. It is always best to leave everything at default settings.

Collapse -
Problem solved

In reply to: rstidle

Thanks a lot, The problem was solved by uninstalling BacOnTrack.

Collapse -
Is this

In reply to: Problem solved

The program you installed?

http://download.cnet.com/BackOnTrack-Home/3000-2242_4-10569660.html

Just reading user comments, (mostly negative) I would not have put this on my machine.

Basically, ownership and use of the system you have, depends strongly on making yourself your own IT support.

How your system runs and performs is directly related to what programs you choose to install and run on your machine.

Just to let you know, it took a bit of time to find references to this program on Google, so that alone would tell me it is not a popular or common program, and not a lot of users use it.

Just a suggestion: Research, research and research again re a program you need or are considering installing. Only in this way will you be able to keep your system running at top efficiency, and will avoid problems such as this in the future.

Even reputable vendors such as Avast! occasionally run into problems, especially when they offer an upgrade to an existing antivirus program.

Here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94095.0

Bugs (and this is one) do come in sometimes, despite the vendor's best intentions, and infuriate loyal users to the umpteenth degree. Hopefully, Avast! will work this one out, and soon.

Remember, you are the only one who can provide IT support for your machine.

If you need a backup program to avoid problems with bad program installs, check these links out:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disk_cloning_software

http://lifehacker.com/5303067/five-best-free-system-restore-tools

All links provided are safe to visit.

Of course, we are here to help, and are glad to do so.

Collapse -
You still

In reply to: Is this

Have two Idle Processes running (One in Spanish and one in English)?

Collapse -
Solved.

In reply to: You still

They have removed the offending item.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.