HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

CPU overloaded & running hot therefore.

by targdog / October 9, 2013 11:58 PM PDT

Have MacBook Pro laptop with history of many freeze ups and forced quits. CPU with ample capacity but is 100% loaded with an non-locatable errant process via the Activity Monitor. Boot drive [HD] verified as ok also. HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU overloaded & running hot therefore.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU overloaded & running hot therefore.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
1. Tell me of your maintenance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 3:13 AM PDT

That is, even an Apple may need the usual canned air on the vents and sometimes a trip to applecare for some issues such as https://www.google.com/#q=apple+overheating+due+to+manufacturing+excess+thermal+paste which they should take care of.

If it never did make it back for a checkup, maybe its time.

2. Tell me about canned air.
That's it. I like to ask this question as the answer tells me a lot.

3. This OS X does have a way to find what task is consuming the CPU. Why not tell what it is?
Bob

Collapse -
CPU overload
by targdog / October 10, 2013 7:07 AM PDT

1]Mtnce is monthly repair disk and CCleaner/ 6 months.
Overheating from 100% workload vs normal 10-15% load & running cool.
2] Will blow out vents but have no hope as a cure.
3]That's my question- U tell me how pl. Note 63% of overload is in the "user" usage & balance as "system" usage
Thxs 4 Ur help.

Collapse -
That was telling.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU overload

Don't feel bad as most laptop owners treat them like a brick. The dust and such builds up and then the day comes someone asks about the canned air ritual cleaning. My thought on this is that it is good news for the makers. More sales.

OK, http://osxdaily.com/2010/08/15/mac-task-manager/ covers the Activity Monitor which should be more detailed about what it is.
Bob

Collapse -
CPU overload
by targdog / October 10, 2013 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: That was telling.

canned air didn't help. Boot drive verified as "appears OK". Ran anti virus scanner looking for corrupted files but gave up after 20% coverage as to slow. Will clean out catches next in hopes. All FYI.

Collapse -
ANTIVIRUS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: CPU overload

I'm going to skip the usual discussion but note that many find the antivirus on an Apple tends to soak the CPU and create troubles rather than solve them.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.