Resolved Question

CPU Overheating, No Display Afterward (Intel i7 930)

I've had this CPU for about a year and only recently I've been experiencing overheating problems. Just tonight, my computer shut down when analyzing the core temperatures of the CPU (which were around 100C at the time; which I understand is beyond the norm) the computer shut down. Upon attempting to reboot, I've found that the display no longer transmits from the graphics card (of which I've recently purchased). Would anyone here happen know any actions I could take to fix these issues I've been having? I'd be glad to provide additional information if necessary.

Discussion is locked
Th3_Boxman has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: CPU Overheating, No Display Afterward (Intel i7 930)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: CPU Overheating, No Display Afterward (Intel i7 930)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Overheating Solved, Display Still Having Issues

After discussing the issue with a local Geek Squad member, I've re-applied thermal paste to the the CPU and heat sink, which seems to have taken care of that problem. However, I'm still concerned about my display and a few tell-tale issues I'm having with it that lead me to suspect that I may have slightly damaged my motherboard. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, I'll be making a new thread in the Motherboard subforum. Thanks for all of your insight!

- Collapse -
Answer
Probably best to give us a little more info

re your system components...esp about the CPU and CPU HS fan, the video card and the PSU....

Now have you check to see if the CPU HS fan solidly attached and working properly.

Is this on off the shelf PC or one you built ?

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
More Info

This is a PC that i've put together myself. As far as I can tell, when running, the fan functions properly.

- Collapse -
Did you...

Put in heat-sink compound on the cpu? Check to make sure the heat-sink itself is secured on all four corners? More info from you would help here. (Video card and PSU).

Sometimes the builder forgets to put in heat-sink compound or doesn't know. Damage may already be done if this is the case. AMD cpu's are notorious for heat failure if not cooled properly; you will know right away.

- Collapse -
Heat Sink, Other Information

The heat sink was installed properly as it has been running smoothly for over a year now. This is not a fresh build as I mentioned ealier in the OP. As for video card and PSU, I recently installed a fresh, new nVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti only a few days ago. My PSU came with the original build several years back and has around a 700w output.

- Collapse -
I'm not sure that you

Pulled the heat sink and re-did the compound and mounting to be sure. I've encountered a few folk that didn't do that and it hits the shop and they do it for them.

There's also possible issues with parts as they age. 700W PSUs can be fine new and just a year later if it's a gamer using the system with the cover on and the hot interior and it's toast.
Bob

- Collapse -
All right.

I'll try readjusting it and see if that does any good.

CNET Forums