Desktops forum

General discussion

CPU Overheating?

by bait28 / September 29, 2012 3:26 PM PDT

I am offically lost on this. I have a pentium 4 HT at 3.6 ghz thats been running fine all year until now. Suddenly it's just extremely overheating. This server is maintinenced regularly and has no dust in it. I have removed the heatsink, cleaned the CPU and heat sink with alchol and then applied Artic Silver thermal Paste(around the size of a BB) then screwed it back down. And in about 10 seconds off booting it's back to 90C. Why is this happening?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Overheating?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Overheating?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wag
by Bob__B / September 30, 2012 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU Overheating?

You used rubbing alcohol.......that stuff has oil in it.
Thermal paste........you don't need much but it's best to spread it out a little.
Is the fan working?
The heat sink is spring mounted and you ran the screws down tight.

Collapse -
It's all fine
by bait28 / September 30, 2012 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Wag

I used Cleaning alchol that is 70% Isopropyl(Pure, nothing else)
Thermal paste was spread out, and is in place well
Fan is working, otherwise the Mobo would have freaked out. You can hear it go to full RPM really fast
My heat sink is spring mounted with a backplate, and it is tightened down to what it sould be.

Collapse -
Thought
by Bob__B / September 30, 2012 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: It's all fine

70% iso is normally rubbing alky.......it has oil in it.

What you looking for is 91% iso.......sometimes called surgical fluid.......no oil.

Thermal paste......some flavors of that stuff require multiple heating/cooling cycles to become effective.

None of that explains why this suddenly started.

It looks like the stock hsf.....even when brand new and super clean is marginal under heavy load.
I suppose it would not take much build up to push it over the edge.

Collapse -
Hot while just in bios
by bait28 / October 4, 2012 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Thought

Well it runs hot while just sitting in the bios with both coolers. so who knows.

Collapse -
Ok Thanks for the feedback. Just trying to cover the
by VAPCMD / September 30, 2012 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: It's all fine

options. Which HS FAN are you using? Almost sounds like it's still not making full contact.

By the way ....what were the TEMPs before this happened ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Ahh the P4HT at 3.6 GHz!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2012 1:49 AM PDT

Tomshardware was all over that one. It is one hot CPU.

Nothing's wrong here, that is one hot CPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1hg1zf7rrY and many other pages talked about it long ago.

Your average Joe may not know it was a problem child.
Bob

Collapse -
Can't fathom why itn would have started suddenly unless it's
by VAPCMD / September 30, 2012 6:18 AM PDT

not locking in place and making full contact.

If it were mine and I wanted to try further to fix, I'd get an aftermarket HS Fan ...like Xigmatek that has a backplate to secure the HS Fan. The original equipment HS fans can pop loose and you'd never know unless you're check temps or system performance. 10 to 20 degree difference is worth the money if it keeps the CPU running cooler at higher and greater stability.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Already knew this
by bait28 / September 30, 2012 6:41 AM PDT

I know the P4 ran hot, i'm just saying it used to run hot underload. now it runs to 90C 10 seconda fter pressing the power button.

Collapse -
Not a Stock Fan
by bait28 / September 30, 2012 6:43 AM PDT

Mine isn't a Pin fan, mine is a screw with backplate, so i know it's not popping off. i've put the stock fan back in and it runs cooler? but still overheats after a few minutes just ideling in the bios. i may have to put my watercooling system back into this server. i thought be cause i was nolonger running it a 4.2 Ghz, water cooling wasn't needed. guess i was wrong.

Collapse -
Ahh, overclocked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2012 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Not a Stock Fan

That can damage the chip. Try another one.

Collapse -
(NT) Duh!!! possible damage due to OC'ing
by Willy / October 1, 2012 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a Stock Fan
Collapse -
Remove cpu and clean underneath
by Willy / October 1, 2012 3:23 AM PDT

Remove cpu and place aside and now clean the socket and immediate area around socket. The sensor itself could be dust clogged or simply dirty. It doesn't have to be huge dirt pile but one that reduces airflow around the area. In other words the sensor itself is the immediate area of concern rather than the cpu. Also, don't assume because the fan is running that it isn't kicking-in the variable speed/RPM it needs if so optioned. Fans do wear down and another one rated for that cpu would strongly be advised. I hope besides my comments and others will help resolve your problem.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
The P4HT at 3.6 GHz is an anomaly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2012 3:27 AM PDT

It was discussed about 10 years ago and frankly I'd underclock it to keep it running today. HOWEVER it looks like they overclocked it and may have suffered some damage.

Bob

Collapse -
This link was given to me. Link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2012 3:41 AM PDT

I see a 60 buck desktop with the P4 at 3.4GHz at http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=WSYS199-NOHDD-PB-2R

Given what the CPU alone costs you might scavenge this slightly lower clock speed CPU (which I think is a better idea so you get away from that 3.6 troublemaker CPU.)

It may also have the real Intel HSF.
Bob

Collapse -
Better plan
by bait28 / October 5, 2012 4:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Fans
by bait28 / October 4, 2012 3:38 PM PDT

1st fan is an intel stock cooler, second is a AVC cooler with a 90mm 3,500 rpm fan.

before this happened temps were around 40C idle and 50C underload.

Collapse -
Not an OC damage
by bait28 / October 4, 2012 3:38 PM PDT

it WAS oc'ed previously. that was 3 years ago, it's been running stock speeds since it went into the Server. which was 2 years ago.

Collapse -
Not say it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Not an OC damage

But some part has failed. What you will encounter are folk that can't accept that. At some point you have to give them space and time to figure that out.
Bob

Collapse -
not the problem
by bait28 / October 4, 2012 3:41 PM PDT

It is INFACT running hot. All the heat is staying at the base of the heat sink and not getting to the heatsink fast enough. The fan is a Delta running 6k rpms. that didn't even fix it.

Collapse -
Don't remember much about that CPU....
by VAPCMD / October 5, 2012 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: not the problem

does it have a CPU heat spreader ?

VAPCMD

Condolences on the 6K Delta fan, that's a screamer from the old days.

Collapse -
thanks
by bait28 / October 4, 2012 3:42 PM PDT

i don't see much performance difference in the two. definatly will beat this 2GHz cpu i'm using as a spare.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?