Desktops forum

General discussion

cpu noise

by Nick_ab / January 17, 2010 4:50 AM PST

hi guys,i iv got a new cpu intel core duo 2.93...and its kinda making a lot of noise at works fine tho...but ehat can i do about the noise?? its pretty loud.. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cpu noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cpu noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Checked with the mfg ?
by VAPCMD / January 17, 2010 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: cpu noise
Collapse -
Do you mean the fan?
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2010 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: cpu noise

If plugged into the MB on a special connection for controlling speed based on CPU temperature the fan speed can increase or decrease depending upon what processes are taking place. Is this what's happening?

Collapse -
cpu noise 2
by Nick_ab / January 18, 2010 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Do you mean the fan?
Collapse -
Probably better if you indicated what PC you have
by VAPCMD / January 18, 2010 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: cpu noise 2

and list the main components. Without that .... it's really difficult to tell what component or components are generating the noise. It could be the CPU heatsink fan itself, the video card fan, the power supply fan or a case fan.

Collapse -
ok me pc is
by Nick_ab / January 18, 2010 4:28 AM PST

mother: GA-EG41mf-us2h , cpu intel core 2 duo 2.9,no grafic card or extra fans other than fan for cpu....again i mean only the sound of the cpu when running programs...makes a lot of noise.....aso iv read that other people noticed that problem and it kinda drives you crazy at what should i do?

Collapse -
Start by describing the noise
by Steven Haninger / January 18, 2010 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: ok me pc is

and exactly where you hear it coming from. A CPU has no mechanical parts and no transducers that would make noise. Actual noise from a CPU could only be its death knell while crackling and hissing from heat. You could be hearing heat threshold warnings from the MB which are often BIOS configurable.

Collapse -
by Nick_ab / January 18, 2010 5:04 AM PST

it sounds like its coming from the cpu grr grr grr when i execute a proram...all pc have a noise like that i then u can tell that the cpu is actualy working....cpu temperatue is a about what else can the noise be?

Collapse -
Ok, maybe we have a terminology issue here
by Steven Haninger / January 18, 2010 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: em

A CPU is the "central processing unit" which is a usually a small flat square sandwiched between its motherboard mounting and the heatsink/fan assembly. I've heard folks use CPU to mean the entire box to which mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc., is attached to. Is that whole box what you are calling the CPU? If so, I could guess the noise comes from your hard drive but they generally are not that loud. When you run a program, the hard drive is being accessed and will make some noise. I'm presuming you've already opened the case and stuck an ear to the interior to listen for the noise. I could offer that I've sometimes used a cardboard tube such as from an empty roll of paper towels or such to help me isolate a noise. Stick it up to your ear and listen around in the case but don't let anyone see you doing this. Happy

Collapse -
cpu noise 3
by Nick_ab / January 18, 2010 8:02 PM PST

no im sure its from the cpu processor....

i can hear the noise on any computer when it boots or when executing a program and so just happens that mine is louder than all of them....
i can hear the fan a bit wich is ok
i can hear the hard drive only at boot wich is ok
and the noise wich sounds to be comming from the cpu under the fan...

it sounds like the cpu is "forcing its self" at times

im sure you guys hear it on your pc or others.......

check this out

so what can i do to limit the noise ????? thanks

Collapse -
Making the noise or triggering the noise
by Steven Haninger / January 20, 2010 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: cpu noise 3

There is a huge difference. Noises generated at temperatures cross thermal thresholds are well documented. These noises will come from a transducer on the motherboard or maybe even monitoring software through your speakers. Such noise is triggered by and not made by a device that's too hot. You'd first look for such in your BIOS and then check to see if you have software monitoring temperature. If your temp is ok, the threshold might just be set low. That's about all I can offer.

Collapse -
by Nick_ab / January 20, 2010 8:03 PM PST

ok thanks just say that the motherboard cpu and ram are new...but i have also an old power suply of 250 watts,as well as an old hdd.....
also i havent added a grafic card yet..

and here are some temperatures:

hdd: 33c
cpu core1,2: 32c

so thanks and if theres anything you'd like to here

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?