HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CPU Heatsink Question

by mcallij / August 4, 2006 4:00 AM PDT

I'm looking at upgrading the stock heatsink on my AM2 4200+, and I'm debating on a Thermaltake Blue Orb II or a Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 cooler. Personally, I'd like to go with the Blue Orb, but I've heard of issues w/ Blue Orbs running into the RAM slots and interfering with tall RAM. I have Mushkin eXtreme Performance DDR2 RAM, and I was wondering if anyone had encountered problems with the Blue Orb and the Mushkin RAM. I've got an Asus M2N SLI Deluxe Mobo, if that will help anyone. I just don't want to buy this and find out it's incompatible. Thanks.

--chedrz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Heatsink Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Heatsink Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you have any doubts...........
by Trance_Zac / August 4, 2006 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU Heatsink Question

About the compatibiliy of the Thermaltake - Go with hte Zalman - Very Highly recommended - Good Reviews

Collapse -
I know, but...
by mcallij / August 4, 2006 7:25 AM PDT

I didn't really plan on buying a hs/f, so I don't have a lot of money to do this in the first place. The Tt's cheaper, plus it'll look better, I think. The green LED on the Zalman would look slightly out of place in a case w/blue LED's, I think. But I dunno.

--chedrz

Collapse -
Re: I know, but...
by WhyFi / August 5, 2006 2:09 PM PDT
In reply to: I know, but...

Do they only have green lights for AM2? Get the Zalman with blue lights or no lights. It's a great cooler - I love mine - lowered my temps by about 5 degees C vs. the stock Opteron HSF which is not too shabby itself.

Collapse -
The key question!!!
by Ray Harinec / August 4, 2006 8:46 AM PDT

Why do you think that you need a beeter HSF than the stock??? Overclocking or ????

What temps are you getting.

Having any problems???

With no money, if it anin't broke, don't fix it.

Collapse -
High Temps...
by mcallij / August 4, 2006 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: The key question!!!

Not planning on OC'ing any time soon, but the stock hs/f is junk. Most people with a 4200+ or better will probably agree. I've seen some pretty high temps during multi-hour BF2 LAN parties, and I'd feel better knowing I had something better sitting on my proc. With something like that, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

--chedrz

Collapse -
You failed to give any
by Ray Harinec / August 5, 2006 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: High Temps...

specific temp values, so? Are they a secret?

Collapse -
Whatever You Get........
by Trance_Zac / August 4, 2006 11:08 AM PDT

Get a COPPER heatsink....much more effective than stock aluminum because it's a beter coductor. The fans are pretty much all alike, save for ball bearings & fancy lights!

Collapse -
Yeah, I know
by mcallij / August 4, 2006 3:29 PM PDT

Both are copper. I just want to know if anybody has had probs with the Blue Orb II and the tall heatspreaders on Mushkin RAM.

Collapse -
Sorry guys.. minor error...
by skycatcher / August 5, 2006 12:46 AM PDT

Aluminium (or Aluminum for our USA friends) is a 'Faster' heat conductor than Copper. That's why soldering irons are made of Copper... they heat up slowly (store more heat) and hold heat longer. If you get a thin (1/8'') copper rod (not copper plated steel) and an aluminium one the same size - coat them in candle wax and stand them in some boiling water... you will see the wax melting up the aluminium rod far faster than the copper one. So aluminium gets the heat away faster and looses it faster to the air (or water).

The main trick here is to use some high quality heat conducting paste between the CPU and the aluminium heat sink.

One other thing... and I am not being insulting to you or anyone on CNET... Do you want quality and performance or pretty flashing lights....? And... why not use water cooling...!

Collapse -
What I want...
by mcallij / August 5, 2006 7:33 AM PDT

Is the cheapest, most cost-effective option. The Thermaltake is my preference, not just because of color compatibility, but because it's about $20 cheaper, and it is within a couple degrees performance-wise of the Zalman. Water cooling is out of the question, since I don't have a budget of over $6X dollars, and I don't have the time, plus I'm not overclocking. I'm a college student hauling this thing back and forth to school, which also limits watercooling. I don't need it right now. What I DO need, however, is something that runs better than stock, and I'd like to save money and get the Thermaltake. I just need to know if it is tall enough to clear the large heatspreaders on Mushkin RAM.

Collapse -
Figured it out, I think
by mcallij / August 5, 2006 4:21 PM PDT

Checked my mobo again, and realized the heatpipe for the north bridge is located right next to the proc. Even if I didn't have problems with the Tt interfering with the RAM, I'm pretty sure it would hit the heatpipe/heatsink for the North bridge. So, it appears that the Zalman is my answer. But, if anyone happens to have the Blue Orb working on an M2N SLI Deluxe mobo, let me know!!!

--chedrz

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.