General discussion

CPU Fans

Hallo, I am building a system and I am trying to make it as quiet as possible. I have a quiet power supply and case fans. I am going to use an AMD Athlon 2800+ but I have been told that the fan supplied is noisy. Does anyone know if this is true. Thanks. Bert

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: CPU Fans
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: CPU Fans
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
if $20 isn't an issue...

just buy a new one anyway. I am not sure if it the stock fan is noisy but watever u buy will be better than it

- Collapse -
Maybe, but the design

has been tested by AMD and they include it with the retail box and a 3 year warranty on the CPU when using it.

Yes, it is not for gaming and overclockers, but most of them solve the problem by simply running the fans at higher rpm which = noise level.

- Collapse -
Try it find out. If you don't like it

get a different HSF for it. They run hot as hades, so any HSF that can adequatly cool it, may well be noisy. You will also need some case fans to keep the interior temperature down. It ain't only the CPU, the fast memory and new video cards also run very hot.

There is a quiet HSF based on the Silverado,a German design. Really great, BUT I lost a CPU in about a year because of it. The slots of the squirrel cage gets clogged because they are so narrow, and there is no way to see them or clean them out. They were 100% clogged with no visual evidence when looking in the computer. I had bought the american copy, I think it was a cooler master, to use it in another computer before I discovered the problem. $30 bucks down the tubes. Threw it away. Wouldn't even give it away it is so big a risk.

Go to tomshardware, they have many articles with tests of coolers which includes the cooling ability and sound levels.

- Collapse -
CPU Fans

There is a lot of talk about CPU fans! The one that comes with AMD will work IF you have good air flow THROUGH the case. If you want to spend some exta money get a case that has fans or buy a couple of extra fans. You can have the best Hestsink fan in the world but if you don't have good air flow THROUGH the case it will still overheat.
Here is a link to AMD info. John
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf
P.S. this also appies to INTEL.

- Collapse -
Re:Replies

Thanks a lot guys. Your replies were helpful. Regards, Bert

CNET Forums

Forum Info