PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CPU fan trouble.. please help

Hi, I have a Q6600 quad core processor on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR board. When I first boot my PC up, the CPU fan will run for about 3-5 seconds then stop. I have looked at the setting in the BIOS and everything seems to be set correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions for me??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU fan trouble.. please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU fan trouble.. please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On modern systems?

In reply to: CPU fan trouble.. please help

I find the CPU fans to be thermally controlled and under CPU control. When you first boot the usual system is to max out the CPU fan since the CPU, bios and such have not taken a temperature reading yet. After it gets going it throttles back the fan speed.

Sadly, no maker seems to document how this all works anymore.
Bob

Collapse -
Exactly what do the setting options say ?

In reply to: CPU fan trouble.. please help

Doesn't the fan come on when the CPU temp rises ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
re:

In reply to: Exactly what do the setting options say ?

The CPU does not come on when the temp rises. It was up to 70C at one point and the fan never came on. There is a SMART setting in the bios that allows the CPU to control the fan. I disabled this, therefore the CPU should run at 100% speed all the time, but it doesn't. I also have tried leaving the SMART setting enabled but it still doesn't come on.

Collapse -
Sounds like a warranty issue.

In reply to: re:

", therefore the CPU should run at 100% speed " is an assumption. I have yet to read that this will happen on any board made today.

If you don't want to deal with the warranty why not wire your CPU fan directly to a power supply connection? I had to do that a few times on old iron that we wanted to keep in service.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Check the FAN on another header...maybe it's DOA.

In reply to: re:

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.