PC Hardware forum

General discussion

cpu fan speed

by vincenzo7 / March 14, 2007 1:14 AM PDT

Hi guys.

I just wanted to pick your brains for some advice. This week I put together a pc for the first time and I am over the moon. I?ve gone from a Pentium 3, 500mhz to a Pentium 4, 3.4ghz processor. Wanted to go down the dual-core route but I only use my pc for word processing and surfing the net. Anyway, to get to the point, I?ve been monitoring my cpu temperature for the last 5 days and it has been at a constant temp of 33 degrees. The only time this went higher was when I installed XP and hit 44 degrees. My cpu fan is running at full speed at 2083 RPM. I wanted to know if it would be safe to turn this down a little? The following is a short passage taken from the motherboard manual?

CPU Quiet Fan
This item allows you to identify the temperature of CPU fan. If you set this option as [Disabled], the CPU fan will operate in full speed. If you set this option as [Enabled], you will find the items ?Target CPU Temperature( C)?, ?Tolerance ( C)?, and ?Minimun Fan Speed? appear to allow you adjusting them. The default value is [Disabled].

Target CPU Temperature ( C)
The target temperature will be between 45 C and 65 C. The default
value is [50].

Tolerance ( C)
The default value of tolerance is [2], which means the error of the
target CPU temperature will be within 2 C.

Target Fan Speed
Use this option to set the target fan speed. You can freely adjust the
target fan speed according to the target CPU temperature that you
choose. The default value is [Fast]. Configuration options: [Fast], [Middle]and [Slow].

Its probably very simple but as I?m new to this and wanted to get some advice before messing with anything. Thank you all for your time in advance.

Just for your info?

P4, 3.4ghz current temp reading = 33
corsair 1gb RAM running in dual channel
asrock motherboard current temp reading = 28
western digital 80gb + 320gb hdd current temp reading = 23
500 watt psu

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cpu fan speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cpu fan speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
33C is a remarkable temp for a P4
by ramarc / March 14, 2007 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: cpu fan speed

if you turn on "quiet fan" the speed will be adjusted to maintain the target temp. 50C is fine for a P4.

Collapse -
trying to grasp the concept
by vincenzo7 / March 14, 2007 7:42 AM PDT

im surprised at the cpu temp of 33 myself. i must state i am not using a stock fan and heatsink that was shipped out with the processor as i read reviews of these being not very good at doin there job. i bought one for a fiver by a manufacturer named speeze. if anyones interested check out...

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=26094329277&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=104307

back to the point, as my cpu temp is 33 and say I set my target cpu temp to 40 and set target fan speed to slow will that mean that when the cpu tempt reaches 40 the fan will operate at a slow speed?

But what if the target cpu temp is set to 40 and target fan speed is set to fast then when the cpu tempt reaches 40 the fan will operate at a fast speed but what speed will it operate when the temp is below 40, such as 33?

Is that basically the concept? I?m just trying to understand so please don?t laugh. I just don?t want the fan to be spinning at maximum RPM all the time unnecessarily.

Thank you.

Collapse -
set your target to 50 and speed to middle
by ramarc / March 14, 2007 11:00 AM PDT

then the fan should auto adjust itself.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.