Desktops forum

General discussion

CPU fan questions / replacement

Greetings everyone,

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire T135. While I've been very happy with the machine's performance, one thing in particular is causing me some, albeit minor, frustration. At times when I am running a few programs (e.g., Firefox, Windows Media Player, & Spybot), the CPU fan kicks into high gear, which leads to an increase in the noise factor. I've also noticed that when I plug a USB flash drive into the PC, the CPU fan kicks into overdrive (even if I'm not using any programs at the moment). Furthermore, when I log into my Yahoo email account (web-based) and go to my Inbox, the CPU fan kicks into high-speed and the webpage takes a few seconds to load (not extremely slow, but not expected with broadband). Once the page loads, the fan slows down.

I understand that when the CPU has to work harder, the fan speeds up in order to keep the processor cool. What I'm confused about is why the fan speeds up when the USB drive is plugged in or when I access my Yahoo email Inbox (I'm also confused about why the Yahoo email Inbox wepage is slower to load than most webpages). Any thoughts on why these issues may be occurring?

Also, I'm looking to purchase a new CPU fan and heatsink -- one that's quieter and will keep the processor much cooler. Any suggestions on what to purchase? A friend recommends either Zalman or Arctic. Thoughts?

My specs are as follows --
Motherboard Name: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M
Motherboard Size: 220 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset: K8M800
Bus Type: AMD Hammer
Form Factor: Micro ATX

CPU Type: AMD Sempron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 3100+
CPU Alias: Venice-256 S754
Package Type: 754 Pin uOPGA
Package Size: 4.00 cm x 4.00 cm

Memory: 1024 MHz DDR SDRAM PC 3200 (2 x 512)

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU fan questions / replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU fan questions / replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a guess here...

In reply to: CPU fan questions / replacement

When you plug in the USB drive this likely leads to Windows starting to process to communicate with that device and possibly index the files or other things that add more work to the processor.

The Yahoo! issue is likely due to how Yahoo! has configured their web-based e-mail to have a lot of something called AJAX so that there is quite a bit of JavaScript to be downloaded when you first hit the page as well as run various scripts.

I don't have any suggestions for fans and heatsinks but I would suggest reading up on various reviews so that you do get what should work best for you.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
If you dare

get a voltage controller called Zalman Fan Mate 2. Then turn off CPU temperature control in BIOS. Set the fan speed to whatever noise level you can tolerate. If the CPU shuts down because it gets too hot, you will definitely know it, but I doubt it will. Have fun!

Collapse -
Temperature data and an upgrade consideration

Sounds like the fan is doing what it is designed to do. CPU gets hotter, fan gets faster.

Get a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of all filters, fans, and heatsinks.

Download and install SpeedFan to get temperature and fan speed data. What temperatures do you see? Any fan behaviour or temperature change when running the computer with the case opened?

You may benefit from just reapplying the thermal compound (remove old and apply new according to compound's directions).

An alternative may be to just replace the heatsink fan with the largest fan that will fit the heatsink. Of course, this is not possible if the fan is part of the heatsink--get the new heatsink and fan (HSF) if that is the case.

Consider upgrading to a socket 754 Athlon 64.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1919&ProductName=GA-K8VM800M

The retail version (not OEM) will include a new HSF and thermal compound/thermal pad. The only problem is that the socket 754 Athlon 64's are getting scarce and haven't dropped in price as the socket 939 models have. Bummer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.