Desktops forum


CPU fan parts

by cab_driver / November 30, 2015 9:12 PM PST

A blade on my AMD CPU fan broke off and I'm wondering if I need to buy a new module or if I can just get the blades/frame.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU fan parts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU fan parts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
No to the blades.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2015 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: CPU fan parts

I've bought new fans in the past but as prices dropped I often buy a complete HSF (heat sink fan) replacement.

You didn't reveal enough detail for me to shop for you but I'd get some heatsink compound as well.

Collapse -
by cab_driver / December 1, 2015 6:01 PM PST
In reply to: No to the blades.

Other than the missing blade, it's in perfect condition. I don't want to buy a whole HSF plus the compound considering the module is fine. Where can I find fans, or is it easier to just buy the HSF (and compound)?
Collapse -
There are fans at newegg, fry's and such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2015 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: No?

But no "blades."

Collapse -
that's filthy!
by James Denison / December 1, 2015 7:52 PM PST
In reply to: picture

You need to remove that fan and really clean that heatsink out with vacuum or blown air. You might even need to run some pipe cleaners through the fins as bad as it looks.

Those fans on top of the standard heatsinks are usually 60, 70, or 80 mm size fans. Fairly standard to replace just the fan. Since that's a standard AMD HSF, the fan part is probably a 70mm in size.

70mm x 15mm thick
Here's an replacement for AMD cpu cooler fans

Here's another 70mm that is only 10mm thick.

Measure yours to be sure. Get either 3 or 4 pin lead type fan, depending on what you already have. If you take the fan into BestBuy or some other electronic store, they probably have replacement hanging on a card they can guide you to.

Personally I'd remove the HSF as a unit, but DO NOT REMOVE THE CPU. I'd then clean all the paste off the CPU and remove the fan from the heat sink and scrub the heatsink with a brush under running water. Dry it. Wipe the fan clean or replace with a new one. Then apply about a pea size of new thermal glue on top of the CPU, replace the HSF as a unit, and make sure the catches are on securely.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.