Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

cpu fan and power supply fan stay on after shutdown

by mtnbikerone / October 21, 2005 2:51 PM PDT

I have a pavilion 6545c that has windows 98 that has been upgraded to windows ME. Whenever I shutdown the computer both cpu fan and power supply fan stay on all the time. I have checked the power settings and that does not seem to be the problem. I have also gone into the Bios and reset it to the default. What could be keeping my fans on all the time? mtnbikerone

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cpu fan and power supply fan stay on after shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cpu fan and power supply fan stay on after shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One, How Do You Shut Down?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 22, 2005 6:31 AM PDT

After shutting down, do you see any messages on the screen? Does the screen go blank? What exactly do you see?

Are you using the standard shutdown process by clicking on Start-Shutdown, etc.? If that's the situation, there are a couple of possibilities that I've come across. First, I've seen such a thing happen when the CMOS battery needed to be replaced. Occasionally, when the CMOS battery needs replacement, the startup/shutdown settings are NOT saved correctly and as a result, the computer doesn't stop like it's supposed to. The CMOS battery is about the size of a nickel, costs only about $5 and can be replaced easily. See the link below for instructions with pictures:

How To Replace The CMOS Battery In Your PC(Procedures and Pictures)

The instance occurs when the power supply or on/off switch have failed...What happens if you hold the on/off button for 10-15 seconds? Does everything shut down correctly?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
fan issue
by mtnbikerone / October 27, 2005 1:48 AM PDT

Grif, I replaced the battery and I still have the fan problem, I normally shut down using the standard shutdown proceedure, start-shutdown etc. I tried shuting down by holding the on/off button for the 10-15 seconds, but it just turns off the hard drive and screen. The fans continue to run all the time. also the fans seem to be running at full speed all the time. Very noisy and anoying. Any other suggestions?
mtnbikerone

Collapse -
One, Since It's The Easiest To Replace &...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 27, 2005 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: fan issue

...the next most likely culprit, since the power button is shutting down the machine except for the fans, I'd replace the power supply..After that, the motherboard will be next.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Did you just install the fans?
by caktus / October 27, 2005 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: fan issue

When I installed fans for the first time awhile back I had the same problem. Turned out I had the power connectors hooked up not quite right. Don't remember the specifics, but thought I'd mention it in case it might help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) $5?! Just replaced mine for $0.99
by caktus / October 27, 2005 10:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL, Such A Deal!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 27, 2005 1:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
Fans Not Shutting Down.
by sirwriter / October 27, 2005 9:51 AM PDT

After you turn the system off via the software and the system shuts down, reach behind the case to wherever the power supply is. There should be a rocker switch there to turn the power supply off.

When the computer is turned off the motherboard is still powered. This is evident if you remove the side (or top) of the case. There will be a small green light showing the motherboard is still powered. This is the only way to completely turn the power off.

Then when you want to power up again simply turn the power supply on and start up your computer.

Collapse -
thanks for all your help
by mtnbikerone / October 28, 2005 10:06 AM PDT

Thanks everyone for your help. As I continued to narrow the problem down I believe it is a bad power supply. when I completly unhook my power supply from the system the fan on it still is powered and when I hook just the aux fan to the power supply it is powered as well. when I unhooked the fan in the power supply the power supply makes a high pitched noise. So I will be replacing the power supply. thanks to everyone who replied. If I still have problems I will reopen the thread. mtnbikerone

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?