Desktops forum

General discussion

CPU Fan

by cdygrubbs / September 18, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

I have a computer with the stock Amd fan. It is quite noisy. I was thinking of buying a whole new fan with heatsink. But to save costs I was wondering if I could just replace the fan itself with a regular case fan. Is this worth trying? Would it cool the cpu correctly?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Fan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Fan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never saved money that way but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU Fan

If your CPU temps are same or lower then the effort worked!

Collapse -
Act soon
by Willy / September 18, 2008 1:08 PM PDT

AMD cpus are prone to failure if not cooled well. For the sake of continued operation, replace the fan if it is a proper replacement. -OR- spend the $ for a complete HSF setup and be done with it that's rated for your cpu. Check out http://www.frozencpu.com and others for what's out there. But, don't hesitate though a simple device, it is critical.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
AMD CPU Fan
by helljack6 / September 19, 2008 3:48 AM PDT

If you know what type of AMD processor you have selecting a fan is pretty easy. Just make sure that you're selecting it for the right application, Socket 775, Socket 939 or whatever your processor is. Also, since you're looking for a replacement, are you going to stay with an OEM fan? Or do you have room inside the tower for larger aftermarket setups?

I've installed the following fan on numerous rigs, it's bigger but because it's bigger, it moves more air at less RPMs and thus is more quiet. Most of the time, my end users that have this fan installed on rigs I've built for them can't even tell that it's on due to how quiet this fan runs.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2844209&CatId=493

I've also installed this next fan on one particular rig. The end user likes it because it's already quiet but they can remove the side panel and directly adjust the speed of the fan with the knob seen in this picture at the bottom.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/AddCartfromGallery.asp?EdpNo=3071636&csid=ITD&Sku=T925-1200&imgcart=1&imgcounter=1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.