Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

CPU Cooling

Good day,
How can I tell what socket I have. I would like to replace the stock cpu cooler that is on the system. I have an Emachines T6524 200gig hard drive/2 gigs of ram/AMD Athlon 64 3500+ I did have the PNY 7600 GS 256mb but it ran to hot...80c at idel and 100c+ at gameplay. I replaced the PNY for the Biostar 7600 GS 512mb and the difference between the two cards was like night and day. The Biostar 7600 GS is running at 45c at idel and 49c-50c during gameplay.The ambieant heat in my case is at 39c, the hard drive is at 34c, and the CPU is at 35c. I believe I'm in the market for a heatsink and fan combo any suggestions.

Thanks,
Movin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU Cooling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU Cooling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely 939, but...

In reply to: CPU Cooling

Based on the processor and age I'd say it's most likely a 939, but you can verify that by downloading/running the free program Everest. Look under Motherboard->Motherboard->Motherboard Physical Info. Once you verify the socket type I'd check out what's available through newegg.com...they have a nice selection at fairly low prices and are quite reliable.

Honestly your temps sound fine to me, and a new heatsink/fan likely won't produce much of a change, but it's up to you.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
CPU Cooling

In reply to: Most likely 939, but...

Thanks for you reply,
I just checked the temp on the graphics card and it was 55c,after 30 minutes of Half Life. The temp was going down as I was reviewing it. I'm using SpeedFan to monitor the hard drive temp, the cpu temp, and the ambient temp. The first graphics card that I installed put the scare into me from the high temp it was generating. I saw a setup that uses a dryer hose to vent exhaust out or to vent air in, I'm going to vent the central AC air to the system I'm sure that will drop the temp also. I was using Everest for about a month and saw on their website that the program was no longer supported so I've been looking around Once again thanks for your reply.

Movin

Collapse -
Everest...

Lavalys decided to withdraw their freeware version, but it's still downloadable from and supported by other sources...far too many people still rely on it and refuse to pay for such information. Belarc is another good freebie, though I prefer Everest. As I said before, I wouldn't worry about those temps, but if you want you can look into water cooling.

Good luck in your endeavor.
John

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Everest...

Thanks John,
I feel beeter about the temps since I installed the new graphics card. Thanks again,

Movin

Collapse -
CPUZ gives excellent info about your CPU, your MB and

you RAM.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.