Computer Help forum

General discussion

CPU consumption on downloads

by dbarne1 / March 5, 2007 2:36 AM PST

HI,
I have a WIN XP , SP1 , P2.4 , 512 RAM . Didn't have any problems with this compter. Mcafee Suit 7 , AD-Aware every now and then to verify and clean, Registry mechanic to clean Registry too. Trying to keep the computer tidy and clean.

Lately, whenever I download something from the internet. Doesn't matter where from , size , nature , type , whatever .... The computer starts to act "weird". What's weird ? , The mouse movement is not smooth , and the CPU is about 50%. Now get this. The CPU is about 50% but there is no process consuming CPU !!!!. Like there's a hidden process taking CPU. This happens also when I browse to sites that takes time to download the page content. After the page was full loaded or the file was downloaded, computer is ok again .

Any idea ???

Thanks,
Doron.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU consumption on downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU consumption on downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How is DMA? Link to article about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 2:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks , but it didn't help ///
by dbarne1 / March 5, 2007 5:44 AM PST

I don't have a PIO problem. All muy devices are working in Ultra DMA mode.

I have an older image of my boot drive (c:). When I restore it, things are doing great. but after few days, the problem returns ...

any more ideas ?

Thanks,
Doron.

Collapse -
Few days? Odd. All my downloads finish in less than that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 5:46 AM PST

My biggest download was PCLinuxOS and at 600 MB finished in an hour. Maybe you need to recheck your connection speed?

Bob

Collapse -
Ha ? , couldn't see the connection ...
by dbarne1 / March 5, 2007 5:53 AM PST

I don't have a slow downloading problem. The computer is getting slow while downloading ... downloading is going fast. CPU is about 50% but the download speed is great. Something is consuming my CPU when I download. I have no idea what ....

Doron.

Collapse -
The clue may be the "days" statement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:03 AM PST

Some applications are known to get buggy after a few days. I offered my example as to why something is odd here. Maybe you are downloading P2P stuff which all I can write then is "good luck with that." Take it back to who wrote that app.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmmm ....
by dbarne1 / March 5, 2007 6:17 AM PST

I do use P2P software ....
funny, but I'm using it for quite some time now ... why suddenly it should effect ....
Also, even when it's closed, "normal" downloads and normal browsing consumes CPU ...
Could I have a trojan or some other hidden process ? are you familiar with a software more detailed then the task manager showing hidden processes ? . SOMETHING is eating my CPU , how can I tell what ????

Thanks,
Doron.

Collapse -
Here's the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm ....

Contact the author of your P2P app and ask about the bug.

Bob

Collapse -
Addendum. Torrent + PC = slow PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the answer.
Collapse -
A different line of attack...
by steve749 / March 5, 2007 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm ....

Maybe it is that your CPU is busy waiting for swaps between memory and the hard drive as you have low physical memory available. Sysinternals has a "Process Explorer" tool that does a good job of expanding on what the Task Manager does though I think you may need to think that the bottleneck is outside the CPU and may be something else that the CPU is waiting on and thus as it waits it'll take up some cycles to check if something is done.

Just an idea to consider...

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
well , at least I found the process taking CPU ..
by dbarne1 / March 6, 2007 4:14 AM PST

Yeah , Process Explorer revealed the process. DPC is the name (deffered process call).

Great. now what ?
What the heck is that and why does it give me problems ?

Collapse -
One link about this
by steve749 / March 6, 2007 4:34 AM PST
Systinernals forums has a thread about this that may be of interest.

Another point is that in downloading a file there is some networking stuff to be done and so it isn't like the computer is doing nothing that you may be overlooking here.

Regards,
JB
Collapse -
well I'll be damned .....
by dbarne1 / March 6, 2007 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: One link about this

My Nvidia GEForce 6800 is the cause ????????

Just browsed some entried in that forum, they all have 6800 ....

I'll keep reading and let you guys knwo what happened ...

thanks a lot ...

Collapse -
ok ... it seems ok for now ...
by dbarne1 / March 6, 2007 5:15 AM PST

Downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers. Things looking smooth but I'm after reboot with no P2P.

Will activate it and see tomorrow morning the results ...

will keep you posted.

Collapse -
Good Morning ..
by dbarne1 / March 6, 2007 1:54 PM PST

well , everything looks perfect. P2P is running , and the computer works smoothly.

The only mystery is what happened suddenly to crap things like that ... if the drivers were old it should have happened long time ago since I didn't update the drivers for quite some time now ..

well , a mystery.

Thanks alot guys.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.