Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CPU clean up, Win98

Was wondering about general procedures to free up disk space, etc. I defrag. and delete as much as I can from time to time, but was told by a friend that there is an area to erase scores from computer games like hearts and solitare. He had a "pro" come over and the guy said "you play a lot of hearts" and also said that the CPU keeps track of every game, the number of times the Q or the 5 of hearts is played etc. I am wanting to learn where I can access these and how to find more useless stuff to delete. I would like to have a list of areas to check/delete/clean up from time to time. Thank you to all who can help, I am just about to do a search and see what I can find on my own....thanks again.

Brad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU clean up, Win98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU clean up, Win98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CPU clean up, Win98

In reply to: CPU clean up, Win98

Sparkadelic,

The part about the old Windows games is new for me. Try if you can find it. Wait till twelve o'clock (or set the time a little bit ahead) and play the games. Then in Explorer find all files modified today (search on date modified). Interested to hear the results.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: CPU clean up, Win98

Was wondering about general procedures to free up disk space.

Look in the win help files for Disk Cleanup.
======================

As for "some prog" look in the options for that prog to see if there is control of the log files.
==================

With HD'S in the 200GB range many folks find it easier not to clean, instead buy more horse power and let the OS sort it out.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: CPU clean up, Win98

www.iolo.com for free 30day trial of System Mechanic.
go to www.cnet.com or www.downloads.com to search for free cleanup utilities.
When using S.M., note where many junk files were found and do future cleaning there.
start>find>*.tmp to find all tmp files. these are usually safe to delete. When in doubt, move them to a folder on the desktop. After a few days, if no errors popup, delete the folder.
windows>temporary internet files> right click and left click on "explore" option. look st subfolders under "content I.E.5. Right click on each one and "delete". when the popup "do you want to delete desktop.ini, choose no, and all the other files will be deleted. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR USER NAMES AND PASS WORDS written down as the automatic fillin from cookies will be erased.
go to windows>program files and see if there are leftover folders from stuff you KNOW you already uninstalled.
uninstall any unwanted programs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.