Computer Help forum

Question

CPU 100% idle

Hello, I'm a long time fan of cnet, but literally joined the website today. I'm quite familiar when it comes to computers in general, and can usually solve a lot of issues on my own, but this one has completely boggled my mind. Beforehand, I can assure you that I've spent many hours trying to find a solution online to no avail, and thought this would be the place to ask.

Windows 7 home premium 32-bit (sp1) on a HP Mini 110 on a completely fresh untouched install, and the CPU runs as it should. As usual, I go along my routine of changing some settings here and there, nothing serious by any means, and it still runs as it did 30 minutes ago from the new install. Next I install AVG, and Firefox, as well as Ccleaner, thats it. Nothing else.

Now the laptop is connected to the internet, and I haven't even launched the browser or ccleaner, but go to the properties on My Computer, and suddenly the CPU skyrockets to 100% and stays there until turned off. Doing anything in the future, be it open notepad to opening firefox, or even after startup, the CPU is always at 100%.

Checked task manager, device manager, drivers, resource monitor, and everything looks in place except for three things. In resource monitor TrustedInstaller.exe is taking up about 50% of the CPU, while svchost.exe -k netsvcs is holding is fair share at 30%, among the many other svchost's which has always been a mystery to me.
Installed MSE on yet another fresh install, and same results. Literally anything new and the CPU has the time of its life.

Tried the latest version of ubuntu and this does not happen. Infact I can even run firefox with 30 tabs loading up at the same time and it goes to 70% for about a minute then a nice and cool 1-4% after everything has loaded. Correct me if I'm wrong but this does not seem to be hardware related if linux runs perfectly fine. Honestly would prefer to have Windows running on it, time for another fresh install..

I've checked hijackthis logs, checked for software and hardware conflicts and can't find any to my knowledge. The only thing wrong is the battery is literally dead, it holds no charge, so the laptop is constantly plugged in during use, but I've already ordered a replacement a few days ago.

The hijackthis logs and a report of hardware from Speccy will be included in this next post to avoid an even longer post..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CPU 100% idle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CPU 100% idle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
trusted installer

In reply to: CPU 100% idle

Collapse -
Answer
newer post

In reply to: CPU 100% idle

Thanks for the reply James.
This is incomplete post, was unaware of how to edit or delete a post so ended up having to make a new one.
forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-618319/cpu-idles-at-100/
Please refer to that as it has some log files of the system. If an admin happens to pass by please delete this thread.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.