Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Cousin needs camcorder + accessories for $5000...

I will put down important points and questions one after the other. What he needs is a very good camcorder and all the accessories like tripods etc all under $5000. He si not in a hurry so if you guys know that a better cam like a blu-ray cam or something is coming next year he can wait. He is going to buy the cam next year anyways.

1. What are the main differences between a prosumer cam and a consumer cam? Is it better to go for an expensive prosumer cam now or keep upgrading decently priced consumer cams every year. I will tell you what he is going to do with the cam so that you can answer this question.
2. My cousin says that he might buy a blu-ray also cam when it comes out, so I told him about the jerks that can cause problems. He said that it has a stabilization system. Is this technology really coming? Or is it still recommended to go for MiniDV?
3. He goes out a lot for camping, fishing and all the outdoor stuff.
4. He will also be shooting a lot indoors for family parties and stuff. The rooms normally have a few lamps turned on. His digital camera performs beautifully in those conditions. I don't live near him so I don't know the exact model but it is a Canon 3.2 MP. This info might help.
5. If a new technology that is worth waiting for is coming out, then he will be more than happy to wait a bit longer for it. e.g He is waiting for the blu-ray cams.
6. It has to be Hi Def of course.

I know that I have not given enough information because I forget about the things that I have to put down when I type. So please ask me all the questions you like.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cousin needs camcorder + accessories for $5000...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cousin needs camcorder + accessories for $5000...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How bout this camcorder

In reply to: Cousin needs camcorder + accessories for $5000...

I've been researching this camcorder for a couple months and I'm Considering buying it. It's a Sony HDR-FX1. It's about $3,500 depending on where you buy it. It has 3ccd and 1080i Hi-def. I'm buying it to film movies so it's okay to be a little bulky, but if your just doing it for homevideos the i would consider the Sony HDR-HC3. It has Hi-def but no 3ccd. It's a lot smaller and easy to carry around.

What exactly are you buying a camcorder for, Home videos or Films?

Collapse -
It has already been announced....

In reply to: Cousin needs camcorder + accessories for $5000...

that there will "eventually" be a Blu-Ray camcorder but the main question is when??? Well, in fact, it won't be this year or even the next. If you think about it, DVD was introduced in the late 90s ('97?). The first DVD cams started coming out in the early 2000s ('02?). That's five years. So I would assume it will be another couple years before the technology is put in camcorders, maybe '09-'10 at the earliest...

So for now, since you've asked so many times... Pick either the HV10, HC3 or SR1. If you wait, you'll never know what will be out next year...

Collapse -
Thats what I told him..

In reply to: It has already been announced....

I tried to convince him that these consumer cams are good enough for you and cheap. But he just wants to go for the best. He is a bit of a technocratic so he wants the best quality, most advanced options/features. He doesn't mind the big size. I remember that he had a big pro cam some time back when I used to live with him and it was analog.

Right now what we need to do is give him some options between a few cams just like the options you gave me (HV10 HC3 SR1). He just WONT go for a consumer cam. He has also read how difficult it is to choose between a HC3 and HV10. So he doesn't mind paying extra to get nearly all ,if not all, features of a consumer cam.

Could you guys give me a few links so that I can give them to him and convince him that disk (blu ray or DVD) cams are bad and problematic.

About the FX1. It was released in 2005 so by the time he is going to buy a cam, the FX1 will be 1 3/4 years old. Won't something 'better' be out by then or is anything better out right now?

He is going to take home videos but wants the best quality. Secondly when he is out for trips, he doesn't mind setting up a tripod and stuff and work like a pro unlike a point and shooter.

Collapse -
For now...

In reply to: Thats what I told him..

you are correct in assuming that DVD camcorders are bad, but not necessarily correct in the fact that Blu-Ray camcorders will be bad. Because Blu-Ray holds about 10x more data per disc, there won't be the need for super compression (the problem with DVD camcorders). For now, there is an upgrade to the FX1, it is the FX7. There is a review at camcorderinfo. Looks very good and is a very good buy. For links of why DVD camcorders are bad, just go to Google and type in, "DVD camcorders". There will definitely be some comments about DVD camcorders.

FYI, us doing research for the posters is a lot of work so when you ask for us to give you links, they are the same links that you would found by using Google.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.