I've been researching this camcorder for a couple months and I'm Considering buying it. It's a Sony HDR-FX1. It's about $3,500 depending on where you buy it. It has 3ccd and 1080i Hi-def. I'm buying it to film movies so it's okay to be a little bulky, but if your just doing it for homevideos the i would consider the Sony HDR-HC3. It has Hi-def but no 3ccd. It's a lot smaller and easy to carry around.
What exactly are you buying a camcorder for, Home videos or Films?
I will put down important points and questions one after the other. What he needs is a very good camcorder and all the accessories like tripods etc all under $5000. He si not in a hurry so if you guys know that a better cam like a blu-ray cam or something is coming next year he can wait. He is going to buy the cam next year anyways.
1. What are the main differences between a prosumer cam and a consumer cam? Is it better to go for an expensive prosumer cam now or keep upgrading decently priced consumer cams every year. I will tell you what he is going to do with the cam so that you can answer this question.
2. My cousin says that he might buy a blu-ray also cam when it comes out, so I told him about the jerks that can cause problems. He said that it has a stabilization system. Is this technology really coming? Or is it still recommended to go for MiniDV?
3. He goes out a lot for camping, fishing and all the outdoor stuff.
4. He will also be shooting a lot indoors for family parties and stuff. The rooms normally have a few lamps turned on. His digital camera performs beautifully in those conditions. I don't live near him so I don't know the exact model but it is a Canon 3.2 MP. This info might help.
5. If a new technology that is worth waiting for is coming out, then he will be more than happy to wait a bit longer for it. e.g He is waiting for the blu-ray cams.
6. It has to be Hi Def of course.
I know that I have not given enough information because I forget about the things that I have to put down when I type. So please ask me all the questions you like.