Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Courts......YouTube........Privacy

Court order on YouTube user data fans privacy fears

NEW YORK/SAN FRANCISCO -- A U.S. judge's order to Google Inc to turn over YouTube user data to Viacom Inc sparked an outcry Thursday from privacy advocates in the midst of a legal showdown over video piracy.

Viacom, owner of movie studio Paramount and MTV Networks, requested the information as part of its US$1-billion copyright infringement lawsuit against the popular online video service and its deep-pocketed parent, Google.

Judge Louis Stanton of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York ordered Google Tuesday to turn over as evidence a database with usernames of YouTube viewers, what videos they watched when, and users' computer addresses.

Why not target the posters of copyright videos...instead of the viewers?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Courts......YouTube........Privacy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Courts......YouTube........Privacy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Amazing !!!

In reply to: Courts......YouTube........Privacy

How a many times a private company can violate civil rights !!!!

Collapse -
(NT) civil rights?

In reply to: Amazing !!!

Collapse -
sure 'tis

In reply to: Amazing !!!

Collapse -
who's responsible?

In reply to: sure 'tis

They should make site owners responsible for content and require service providers to not discriminate based on content, and indemnify them to insure it. Blaming service providers for content is like blaming distillers for drunk drivers, since not all who drink do so with purpose of having too much, then driving.

Collapse -
Sounds to me

.... that a database with usernames of YouTube viewers, what videos they watched when, and users' computer addresses is getting into matters that computer users keep private.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
sounds like another case of a tech-illiterate court

... not knowledgable enough to make an informed decision and so just gives in to the big company's manipulation.

"Why not target the posters of copyright videos...instead of the viewers?"

that's exactly what I thought. A simple viewer has no way of telling what content is copyrighted and what isn't, and so how can they be responsible for viewing copyrighted content?

The company has no justifiable need for that information and so has absolutely no right to it.

A person doesn't need to login there with their username to watch the videos anyway, and links YouTube video's are on sites all over the WWW so they're just targeting a tiny fraction of the actual viewers.

I have an account there so I guess that database includes me.

Stupid judge!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.