Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Court denies appeal from Gitmo detainees

by EdH / April 2, 2007 5:28 AM PDT
LINK

The Supreme Court rejected an appeal Monday from Guantanamo detainees who want to challenge their five-year-long confinement in court, a victory for the Bush administration's legal strategy in its fight against terrorism.

The victory may be only temporary, however.
{Hope not.} The high court twice previously has extended legal protections to prisoners at the U.S. naval base in Cuba. These individuals were seized as potential terrorists following the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks and only 10 have been charged with a crime.

Poor babies! I feel their pain!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Court denies appeal from Gitmo detainees
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Court denies appeal from Gitmo detainees
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what a change
by jonah jones / April 3, 2007 12:32 AM PDT

nothing but contempt for innocent 'til proven guilty detainees, and yet outrage for military personnel who have been accused of a wrongdoing?

Collapse -
Terrorists, Jonah...
by EdH / April 3, 2007 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: what a change

They are getting their trials and the US is bending over backwards to accommodate their needs.

So, yes, my outrage at Iran is justified, as is my contempt for the terrorists in Gitmo. No change. Totally consistent.

Collapse -
Separating the wheat from the chaff
by Diana Forum moderator / April 3, 2007 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Terrorists, Jonah...

How do you know which started out as terrorists and which did not? They are probably all terrorists now.

Diana

Collapse -
The fact that they were captured in combat for one thing...
by EdH / April 3, 2007 1:12 AM PDT

Why do you think they are there? Innocent bystanders?

Is the Supreme Court part of the fascist dictatorship oppressing the poor little lambs of Mohammad too?

Collapse -
josh is useing his vast
by Mark5019 / April 3, 2007 6:10 AM PDT

armchair experience ed. remember he served as much as bush did he said so in so many words Happy

Collapse -
It's not "fat fingers' that are causing you to make errors
by JP Bill / April 3, 2007 6:43 AM PDT

Your helmet is falling down over your eyes.

Collapse -
when i left service
by Mark5019 / April 3, 2007 6:57 AM PDT

i gave my helmet back.
now you may have a nintendo game that requires you to wear one

Collapse -
You gave your helmet back?
by JP Bill / April 3, 2007 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: when i left service

willingly?

Collapse -
They took mine back...
by J. Vega / April 3, 2007 1:44 PM PDT

I had to give mine back. They let me keep one of my watches and my switchblade, though. Go figure.

Collapse -
Who?
by Terry Browne / April 3, 2007 6:13 PM PDT

You seem to throw out any of the names that you have on your "list". In this case it was the wrong one, right? You ought to read the posts before making a judgement. I don't expect you to do it, but it would be a good idea.

Collapse -
Re: " Innocent bystanders?"

Some of them have been released thanks to foreign government's pressure on the Administration. Why were they there in the first place and for several years? Several years under extreme conditions that violate ANY logical human right convention! As Rumsfeld said; "They have sun and good weather and there is nothing to complain about." I agree. Let's put hom and the rest of te administration under those conditions and why not a little Abu Ghraib nooses for dessert...

Collapse -
Extreme coinditionbs...
by EdH / April 3, 2007 8:55 PM PDT

yeah right. Air conditioning, three squares, TV, Harry Potter, etc. Much worse than wintering in the mountains and easting roots.

What a bunch of baloney.

Collapse -
Still...
by Terry Browne / April 3, 2007 9:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
I doubt many of them, if any...
by EdH / April 3, 2007 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Still...

are "innocent". But they'll get their trials.

My heart cannot bleed for the enemy at this point. After we win, maybe.

Collapse -
IOW
by Terry Browne / April 3, 2007 11:10 PM PDT

Presumably innocent people deserve to be hostage at Gitmo for years?

Collapse -
They are NOT hostages...
by EdH / April 3, 2007 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: IOW

enemy combatants. The Supreme Court says it's okay and that's okay by me.

They are NOT good people, Terry. They don't deserve sympathy, at least not mine. I am NOT on their side.

Collapse -
BTW...
by Terry Browne / April 3, 2007 11:15 PM PDT

Where did you find the AC and the TV? I'm sure you have it in your house, but that's not a given at Gitmo...

Collapse -
One of their complaints was ...
by EdH / April 3, 2007 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: BTW...

that the air conditioning was set too high.

This, from a year ago. I have seen reports about the prisoners' favorite TV shows as well.

The U.S. military plans to ease conditions for some detainees in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba ? housing them in a renovated section with televisions, stereos and a view of the Caribbean, the detention center's commanding officer said in court papers.

Their living conditions are probably better than the average person in Afghanistan. They get good medical care and several have reportedly gained weight while there.

And no, my house is NOT air conditioned.

Collapse -
they complained it was to cold,
by Mark5019 / April 3, 2007 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: BTW...

and radio was to loud

they have a good life 3 square meals and security
and live rent free

Collapse -
re: they complained it was to cold
by ILoveEmail / April 7, 2007 3:49 AM PDT

It WAS too cold - the cells were kept cold for the purposes of toryture. And the radios were used for torture, too - the detainees were interrogated without sleep as a way of "softening" them (I think Rumsfeld called these techniques "Torture-Lite.") The detainees do NOT live a good life; they lead an unjust existence.

Collapse -
They lead an unjust existence...
by EdH / April 7, 2007 4:09 AM PDT

soon to be ended for some of them, I hope.

Collapse -
well as terriosts they in my views
by Mark5019 / April 7, 2007 4:12 AM PDT

should have been shot as soon as seen
there still breathing air while there buddies kill and maim

Collapse -
when they prove them selves
by Mark5019 / April 3, 2007 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Still...

innocent then we worry.
those people are far from innocent.

but if your so concerned why dont you go down there picket gitmo, meet your neighbors Happy

but then id doubt you would do it as it takes conviction to stand up for what you beleave.

Collapse -
(NT) Would you be a terrorist, now of you were in Gitmo?
by Dragon / April 3, 2007 11:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) LOL! Good question that ain't going to get an answer...
by Terry Browne / April 3, 2007 6:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
Here's thew answer...
by EdH / April 3, 2007 8:58 PM PDT

No. After being pampered and gaining weight I'd be requesting asylum in the US.

It's a silly question. These guys are NOT innocent little lambs.

Collapse -
Re: "These guys are NOT innocent little lambs."
by Terry Browne / April 3, 2007 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's thew answer...

Says who? As I said before several innocent persons in the concentration camp have been released after years of imprisonment. Is that a price that we should all pay just because we disagree with the current regime?

Collapse -
"Concentration Camp?"
by EdH / April 3, 2007 11:34 PM PDT

"Regime"? I can see exactly where you are coming from.

Collapse -
Don't know what the big deal is
by duckman / April 3, 2007 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: "Concentration Camp?"

they get free health care just like on the other side of the fence.

Collapse -
terry instead of whineing
by Mark5019 / April 7, 2007 4:15 AM PDT

about your friends in so called concentration camps go there and picket stand by your friends
offer to pay for there legal help.
put up0 or stop biotching about the scum

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!