The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

counter strike map no big deal

by da_bradler / May 3, 2007 6:28 AM PDT

I'm having a hard time understanding why tom and company have such a big problem with a kid making a counter strike map of his school.

I mean to a gamer this is no different then making a racing map of your home town. your taking a place you know and making a map of it so you and your friends can go and PLAY in it. it's playing I don't think people understand that about games, I mean it's not a killing simulator it's a game in which people are thrown into a game together and they play fight. it's the same thing as running around in school pointing your finger and yelling bam as kids do(well littler kids)

it's not like he set up the school and placed students at there desks and ran around by himself pretending to kill them, it's a game with clear goals involving two TEAMS in which they try and track down and down the other persons charecter.

I think there is a MASSIVE social devide on issues like this, I mean teenagers and gamers really have a hard time understanding why people make such a big deal out of issues like this. And at the same time adults and girls(for the most part) think there must be something wrong with gamers if they find something like that fun.

I mean by the same logic kids who play counterstrike against there friends should be therapy because clearly soemthing is wrong with them if they want to kill there friends.

when it boils down to it your not killing your playing your playing a GAME in a setting that you find interesting because you know it.

and I think it was in poor taste to try and link this with the school shooting that just took place, this is so utterly unrelated and unconnected. I mean none of these school shooters have done anything like this, I don't understand how in anyway playing something like this could help you become better at killing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: counter strike map no big deal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: counter strike map no big deal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's really crazy
by mc4_a / May 3, 2007 9:29 AM PDT

This is no more sinister than re-creating your neighborhood in Sim-city. It's clear the purpose of the map was for novelty purposes only. I knew a guy that created a Doom 2 map of a place where I used to work. I never thought "Well, he's obviously has fantasies about killing us all".

I don't think the buzz-crew understands it because the game isn't about elves looking for magical biscuits so they can slay the troll lord. They obviously play lighter fare and I would submit they have a bias against FPS players based on their arguments. Mod-maps are all about novelty. It's not weird or crazy to want to recreate familiar places in a game. That doesn't mean your out for blood.

Collapse -
Once upon a time....
by rtemp / May 3, 2007 9:43 AM PDT

When I was in middle school and getting into Goldeneye (circa '97/'98), I used to dream about how awesome it would be to have a map of the school to play multiplayer in. I still think that school would make for a good map for some FPS for about 2 - 6 people.

Did I ever have a thought that came even close to harming an actual person? Absolutely not. I don't think that kids today are any different than I was back then.

In other words, people have been seriously over-reacting here.

I guess I better move my soldering iron, mini screwdrivers, scissors, pens(you could stab somebody), paperclips, push pins, and my Wrigley Field brick so that people don't think I'm a terroristic threat.

-Ryan

Collapse -
i made a map of my house :D
by aribeiro2 / May 3, 2007 9:50 AM PDT

and my map became famous at the lanhouse i used to play...
everyday someone used to say to me: "hey! we played at your house yesterday... it was cool!"

we have a very cool map of a slum in Rio de Janeiro...
look for cs_rio
so cool
Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?