Speakeasy forum

General discussion

could someone explain why this is a ''no-no''?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: could someone explain why this is a ''no-no''?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: could someone explain why this is a ''no-no''?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: could someone explain why this is a ''no-no''?

In reply to: could someone explain why this is a ''no-no''?

I guess with 23 seconds left it could be considered bad sportsmanship. Then again, if the Spainards had timeouts remaining, I know in college ball an 11 point lead is not insurmountable in that time frame so I'm even more baffled.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
It's considered bad form

In a situation where there is no hope for the trailing team to get back into the game, it is just rude and poor sportsmanship to call a time out and make the losing team stand there and wait through a pointless timeout. Just waiting to lose and having to stand on the court doing nothing is no fun.

It's like bunting and stealing bases when you're up 10 runs in the late innings in Baseball. Or like throwing a hissy at line calls when you're at triple match point, up 5-0 in the last set of a tennis match. Pick your sport.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: It's considered bad form

In reply to: It's considered bad form

but if you read article couch tried to wave iot off after he saw what time was left

Collapse -
Re: It's considered bad form

In reply to: Re: It's considered bad form

I'm just trying to explain the objection, not join in it. I'd want to see the film or hear more about it before I condemned the action.

Dan

Collapse -
Maybe this column will help, Dan:

In reply to: Re: It's considered bad form

http://www.indystar.com/articles/3/173655-8483-036.html

Full disclosure: I met Larry Brown when he was here as the Pacers' coach. I had a few interactions with him over the years and I am a big LB fan. I was delighted when he coached a team to the NBA championship - even if it was the Pistons. Sad

"I had -- I stress, had -- a lot of respect for Larry Brown," Pesquera said. "But I think when you do something wrong (call a late timeout), as we all do, you can always say, 'Sorry, excuse me.' If you ask for the timeout mistakenly, you can do something about it. You can send your players right back out there . . . I will continue to respect him as a trainer (coach) who is up there with the best. But Dean Smith never would have done a thing like this."

Well, Dean Smith would do that; in fact, he invented the late and completely useless timeout. But never mind that.

The way Brown explained things, he called a timeout with about a minute to go and his team ahead by eight points. But by the time his team regained possession, the lead was up to 11 with 23 seconds.

"When I saw the score, I told the timer, we don't need the timeout, but he gave it to us anyway," Brown said. "I watched the Lithuania-Greece game the other night and saw the way the Greek coaches reacted to a late timeout. I would never do that."

Pesquera, who was sitting to Brown's left at the news conference, wasn't having any of it. He just sat there feverishly scribbling notes, preparing his retort.

It wasn't just the late timeout that burned him, though.

He cried that the way the game was officiated handed the game to the Americans. "There were multiple violations, traveling, contact," he said, specifically citing Allen Iverson for carrying the ball. "It's pointless to have rules that benefit one team and not the other."

He cried about an unlucky draw that found his excellent Spanish team facing the underachieving Americans in the quarterfinal. "Let's be honest, the Americans have played to 40 percent of their capacity in two games, and I think it's very strange to have a competition that rewards a team that loses," he said. "The rules need to be changed."

He talked about a lot of things, except the things that mattered most Thursday afternoon, like his team's poor shooting from behind the 3-point line and the monumentally dumb game they played. In particular, the fact they didn't go to their star, Pau Gasol, in the final minutes. Gasol scored 29 points, but just four came in the fourth quarter. And, oh yeah, the fact that the Americans played their strongest and most controlled game of the tournament, even hitting 12-of-22 from 3-point range.
(Emphases mine)

I watched the game, and what Senior Pesquera ought to have been upset about was the fact that a player who had scored 21 points in his team's previous 5 games (Stephon Marbury) went off for 31 on the Spaniards (How about some defense, guys?).

As for his whining about the draw: Spain finished preliminary play first in its pool; the U.S. finished 4th in its pool. In the medal round, #1 plays #4, etc. Did he think they'd change the pairings so his team would have a better chance of getting to a medal game?

Please....
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i got the idea.....thanks y'all

In reply to: It's considered bad form

Collapse -
Re: could someone explain why this is a ''no-no''?

Just remember, we're the "ugly Americans..." so anything we do can be taken as offensive...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.