The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Could have some help here

by kinsella01 / May 24, 2007 12:23 PM PDT

Sometimes when i boot up my PC, before i can go log into me, this thing says that a volume(C:) is dirty and it is cleaning it and it takes a long time to clean it and it sometimes deletes some of my files. Can i do anything to make this go away or fix the dirty volume for good?

PS- I am running Windows XP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Could have some help here
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Could have some help here
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could you say what hardware type you use..
by Alegoo92 / May 24, 2007 12:56 PM PDT

Laptops/Desktops have different cleaning management tools: yours sounds like a laptop.. More info?

In either case, this might find a better solution in places other than the BOL forum (Desktops, Laptops, Troubleshooting, ect..)

Alex

Collapse -
(NT) I have a dell 400 XPS desktop, 1gig of RAM, + 80 gb HD space
by kinsella01 / May 24, 2007 10:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Dirty volumes
by fbbbb / May 24, 2007 9:51 PM PDT

Come from filthy computers. Go upstairs and clean your room now!

Silly

"Dirty" volumes are a result of forced shutdowns, i.e. if you turn a computer off by literally interrupting the power.

Collapse -
you mean if i press the power button without loging off or
by kinsella01 / May 24, 2007 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Dirty volumes

closing all my apps. i have to do that alot becaue my pc freezes alot and i cant get the start menu to open so i can shut it down.

Collapse -
Yes - a forced shutdown.
by fbbbb / May 24, 2007 10:28 PM PDT

You aren't going to get rid of the dirty message until you figure out what is causing your PC to go non-responsive.

Collapse -
This usually happens after a crash
by Owyn / May 24, 2007 10:25 PM PDT

Windows XP file system (directories) may not have been properly updated. When XP starts it checks to see if it has been shutdown cleanly. If not, it attempts to clean the volume(s).

NTFS is more likely to survive a crash with minimal errors.

Collapse -
(NT) A crash can't usually generate the dirty volume message.
by fbbbb / May 24, 2007 10:29 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.