Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Could cruise control have done this? Distubing accident

by Steven Haninger / September 5, 2010 11:47 PM PDT

While driving back home from Toledo, O. yesterday we came upon an accident scene that couldn't have been 5 minutes old. It turned out to be a fatal as both occupants were ejected during the crash. The accident was already well attended by motorists who'd either been involved, witnessed or just stopped to help. The highway was a debris field and my wife and kids saw one of the two bodies lying by the roadside. I didn't get a clear view due to trying to avoid becoming part of the melee. We saw some folks on the other side of the interstate running through a field toward what appeared to be a vehicle but this was far from the accident scene. We checked for news when arriving home and found this.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=7651477

I thought that one of the vans we saw on the right hand side of the road might have been involved as it's rear doors were open and debris scattered behind it. I'd guessed this to be the death car and that someone had been tossed from the rear as it was very close to where one victim way lying. I was wrong. It was the vehicle in the bean field. It had traveled over a fairly wide median, crossed the northbound highway, broken through a fence and traveled 200 or more yards through the vegetation before stopping. I'd have to estimate the total distance traveled to be around 1/4 mile. Traffic was moderately heavy at the time but I didn't notice much in the way of speeding. Highway patrol cruisers were plentiful to be seen. By some grace of God, no one but the two occupants of the car were killed. What I cannot figure out is how the car traveled that distance. In the video link, there was quite an impact to the guardrail that must have slowed the vehicle. Its ride from that point on would have been a bumpy one. About all I could figure is that the gas pedal stuck or the cruise control was on and didn't disengage. I was under the impression that cruise control only worked above certain speeds and, in fact, I've had cars that didn't allow cruise until after 30-35 mph. Also, they wouldn't "resume" if the speed dropped to low. I tested my Caravan this morning and found it would engage at much lower speeds than I remember. It would also resume to highway speed even if I dropped as low as 20 mph. I have to wonder if cruise control operation allowed this vehicle to regain highway speed after the accident even with no driver in the car. I'd hope that couldn't happen.

This was a terrible site to see with my family and we have to feel for the kin of the 66 and 62 year old victims. Quite sobering. Hope all here are safe this holiday. Still shaking here. Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Could cruise control have done this? Distubing accident
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Could cruise control have done this? Distubing accident
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
any hit on brakes and cruise control is disengaged
by James Denison / September 5, 2010 11:58 PM PDT

You can turn cruise control on Caravan on at low speeds, but can't get a Set on it till about 40mph. Anything under that it won't take, or hold. I think it's more likely someone's foot got jammed onto the accelerator after maybe being knocked out or injured.

Collapse -
The driver and passenger were ejected immediately
by Steven Haninger / September 6, 2010 2:11 AM PDT

so no one had their foot on the brakes or accelerator. Apparently the car went off the left side or was drifting into the left lane and the drive jerked the wheel losing control. The guard rail impact didn't look like a fairly solid hit so the car must have slowed quite a bit. I see no way it could have traveled that distance and through that terrain without some power being applied.

Collapse -
Not using seatbelts?
by JP Bill / September 6, 2010 12:01 AM PDT

Collide with guardrail...throttle sticks open, vehicle keeps going?

Collapse -
someone lost both parents at once?
by James Denison / September 6, 2010 12:27 AM PDT
http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=13105872

Two people were killed in a crash along I-75 just before 3 p.m. Sunday near Sugar Ridge Road in Wood County.

According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, 66-year-old Robert Lane and 62-year-old Margy Lane of Toledo were headed southbound on I-75 when they drove off the left side of the road.

http://toledoblade.com/article/20100906/NEWS16/9050386/-1/NEWS02

Robert F. Lane, 66, and Margy Lane, 62, of 286th Street in Point Place, were southbound on the expressway at 2:50 p.m.
Their SUV went off the left side of the road three miles south of State Rt. 582.
The driver of the vehicle overcorrected, crossed both southbound lanes, and sideswiped a guardrail.
After the Lanes were ejected, their SUV continued for an unspecified distance, crossing over the median and both northbound lanes of I-75 before stopping in a soybean field on the east side of the highway, just south of Simonds Road,

http://www.thecourier.com/
The Lanes were occupants of a 1995 GMC Suburban,
Collapse -
That's the wreck
by Steven Haninger / September 6, 2010 2:25 AM PDT

We've been helping my daughter get moved up there and were driving home to Columbus. She's going back up that way today and I know she'll going to be a bit nervous. I-75 a major corridor from the deep south (Miami) up into Michigan and the Canadian border. The ride can be a hairy one. Lots of truck traffic.

Collapse -
I doubt they had any tubes, lol.
by James Denison / September 6, 2010 3:52 AM PDT

That's sort of funny blooper being tied to a car accident. Here's one that's even funnier.
==================
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31605
HMM!!!
I FIND IT DISTUBING THAT A TIRE SHOP WOULD SAY 40 LBS OF AIR IS GOOD ALL THE WAY AROUND FOR THIS CAR....
==================

Darn those tubes. Wink

Collapse -
That, James, would be the world's dumbest tire shop!
by Paul C / September 6, 2010 7:06 PM PDT

Any reputable shop would know that the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures are on a placard located either on the inside of the driver's door or on the driver's door frame. Overinflation causes rough ride and premature tire wear; underinflation causes sloppy and possibly dangerous handling, premature tire wear and can lead to sudden tire failure by blowout due to overheating of the tire.

It doesn't surprise me that owners don't know that or that they're unaware that tire pressure should be checked and adjusted if necessary weekly. It never ceases to amaze me that there are many repair shops that sell tires that don't know that.

Collapse -
(NT) Is this post a mistake??? Don't see any relevance.
by Steven Haninger / September 6, 2010 7:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Shame.....There was a "recall" on the throttle cables...
by Tony Holmes / September 6, 2010 3:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Good information...that could be the answer
by Steven Haninger / September 6, 2010 4:11 AM PDT

From the accident scene I could see the vehicle as just a speck among the soybeans with a couple of guys trying to get to it. There's no way it wasn't throttled down to have traveled that far through those obstacles. It could just as well have found its way on the asphalt going opposite to traffic flow.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.