Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Costs associated with a URL

by johnpriore / April 22, 2004 6:17 PM PDT

Hi: Please enlighten me on Web site development. I just purchased FrontPage 2003, and I'm new to Web development. I realize that I can learn on disk, but when I'm ready to post anything "live," what needs to be done? Is there a cost associated with it? If so, how much? Would my cable-speed Internet provider supply me with any amount of free Web space?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Costs associated with a URL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Costs associated with a URL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Costs associated with a URL
by ghostcat / April 22, 2004 7:30 PM PDT

Hi John,
I haven't been doing this very long myself, but there are various ways to post your sites. Most ISPs, if not all, will provide their customers with 'xx' amount of free web-space for you to use at your discretion, search the homepage or e-mail them for advice on how to access it. This is handy if you are building sites for others and you can show them the site here before purchasing web hosting (this varies immensely so shop around). However, it doesn't look very professional if the site you built appears in the browser as eg:- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/georgewbush. Domain names can be purchased from literally thousands of places on the net, I get mine from here as they are very cheap
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/affiliate.cgi?id=AF181508
and the hosting is excellent value too. If you purchase a domain name eg:- www.mydomainname.com, and hosting, then the web browser will display that name and appear more professional. On the other hand you can purchase a domain name and with that you should also be able to use what is called 'web forwarding'. You can build a site and put it in your free ISP web space, then select web forwarding from your domain name supplier and when someone types in their browser eg:- www.mydomainname.com, they will get redirected to the site on your free web space, without you having to pay for web hosting. But remember, you may only have a limited amount of space such as 50mb, so keep a check on what you have used.
These forums are great if you get stuck with anything, someone somewhere in the world will know the answer.
Good Luck

Mick

Collapse -
Re:Re:Costs associated with a URL
by johnpriore / April 22, 2004 7:41 PM PDT

Thanks Mick. I'm probably months away from that, but I'll be sure to save your message. The Web page (the inexpensive one) is from the UK, so I guess I'd need my currency translator there! As you suggested, I'll be sure to 'shop around' if and when that time comes. Your advice on the professionalism of the Web addresses and space constraints on the Web hosting, too, is great. I'm BRAND NEW AT WEB DESIGN, and I'm learning on my own from home with a thick manual, as a hobby more than anything else. I just joined this chat room on CNET today, in fact.

Thanks again, JP

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Costs associated with a URL
by ghostcat / April 22, 2004 9:29 PM PDT

You'll be amazed at how easy it is to pick up this html stuff. I've only been doing it since november and have learned stacks, but it is still nothing in comparison to what is out there. I tried a few times to build a site with pics from my honeymoon to Kenya last year and after a few tries came up with this - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michaelkirby/kenya/ (I put a few sounds in for elephants, lions, leopard and Masai)
- it can be frustrating sorting out silly little problems such as a single letter in the wrong case but when you achieve something it feels good. I'm doing it as I want to make extra money and it beats going out and doing a second job in somewhere like a bar. If you want you can contact me at the e-mail link at the bottom of my homepage, if I can help or advise then I will, you may even be able to help me with other things.

Regards

Mick

Collapse -
by gazza / July 30, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

there are lots of free web site providers on the net, but if your serious about web developement the get your site hosted by an hosting company.
You will find you get everything you need to host your web site, Try www.streamlinenet.co.uk excellent hosting site with no restrictions on visitor bandwidthand you get a cool account panel to help you with everything you need.

Collapse -
by cory61574 / April 23, 2004 1:07 PM PDT

$7.95 per year for your domain - www.godaddy.com
Hosting $34.95/month - www.corinteractive.com

Collapse -
Re:Re:Costs associated with a URL
by johnpriore / April 23, 2004 2:22 PM PDT

Thanks Cory. While I have yet to get to the point of going "live," I appreciate the advice and will be sure to save your information.

-John

Collapse -
Re: Costs associated with a URL
by coolridernum1 / July 1, 2004 7:05 AM PDT

I went with www.1and1.com

Costs are really up to you

I have the 9.99 microsoft server hosting plan

GoodLuck!

Collapse -
by Andrea B. / July 1, 2004 8:23 PM PDT

I've been using www.seanic.net for years - free domain name and under $5/month for space - and great service.

Collapse -
by mike-ferguson / July 2, 2004 7:09 AM PDT

Here's a good site I've had referred to me, that sounds REAL reasonable ...
http://www.ipowerweb.com/
They're only 7.95 per month and offer 800 meg, frontpage support, etc, etc...read the details.

As far as your high speed internet provider, that's case-by-case...I use AND am employed by Cox communication, and get 7 e-mail addresses, each with 10 Meg...you can link between them if you get a lot of files, as long as they're not being used already.

I've got Yahoo @ 8.95 per month, but 5 seconds after clicking on http://www.mikeferguson.org [the domain name purchase through yahoo] it takes you to my COX page. I'm gonna switch to the one with ipowerweb as soon as I get some more "dynamic" website development completed.

Collapse -
by lildude / July 2, 2004 7:26 AM PDT

You need webspace to test your files.

http://www.linux-web-host.com/ are good at rates .. you can buy webspace from there. They dont even place adds on your website like other free hosting providers do. Their hosting starts somewhere arround $20 per year.

Regards,

Collapse -
by madspeed / July 16, 2004 11:19 PM PDT

John,

Do you want your website to have it's own domain name (Ex: www.bestbuy.com) or a sublisting of an ISP (Ex: www.earthlink.net/~jdoe)?

If you're serious about getting a domain name for your website, get the domain name first through a domain provider. That way you will have a greater chance of securing the domain name that you want.

Next, you'll need webhosting. Yes, your ISP should provide you a personal webspace, although it will be at www.ispname.com/yourusername or something to that affect.

But if you are using a domain name, you'll need webhosting service.

If you plan on developing more websites but require a more custom look, learn to use HTML. Frontpage has its limits. Here are some good resources:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/html_cheatsheet/index.html
http://webdesign.about.com/index.htm?once=true&

Good luck!

-Q
VQC Designs, LLC
www.vqcdesigns.com

""Attitudes are contagious...is yours worth catching?"

Collapse -
by Guardian55 / July 24, 2004 7:26 AM PDT

there are alot of companies that will provide what you need for a website and include the costs into their price, the place I have found that is the cheapest and they do pretty much everything for you is a site called......www.canaca.ca

I have been with them for over a year now and they are the cheapest that i have found, and i did alot of looking before going with them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.