TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Costco Electronics: Plasma vs. DLP

by del213 / January 17, 2006 4:31 AM PST

I've limited my choice down to two different types of tvs. DLP v. Plasma. Both are sold by Costco. Here are the contenders:

Philips 50" Plasma (50PF9630A)
and
Toshiba 62" DLP with Stand(62HM15A)

Both are priced about the same after a Costco coupon is applied (around $2600). The viewing distance will be around 14-17 ft.

From my preliminary research, Plasmas are better in quality of picture but are subject to "burn in" on the screen if you do not "break it in" properly and also will eventually "fade out' after 6-8 years. I've even seen this referred to in one post as a disposable tv.

DLPs are almost similar in picture quality and you get more viewing surface per square inch, but, viewing angle is lessened, will require replacement bulbs at $200-$300 a pop every other year, and are a bit bulkier.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Costco Electronics: Plasma vs. DLP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Costco Electronics: Plasma vs. DLP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Plasma vs. DLP
by jcrobso / January 19, 2006 2:48 AM PST

"burn in" on the screen if you do not "break it in" properly" This old info.
Todays plasmas are rated for about 60,000 hours, this works out to 6.8 years of 24/7 viewing, now if you watch TV 8 hours a day it will last about 20 years. They are very burin in proof now.
YES, Costco has a lot of HDTVs with coupons over the next 3 months.
One more pice of info on DLPs they have a color wheel that is driven by a motor that will fail after a few years, cost $200~300 to replace.
Most TVs are disposable if a major part fails out of warrenty. Such is life.
Both of them have good pricture quality, At your Costco can you stand 14~17' away and see which looks better?
When my Costco had the JVS LCoS sets I was able to watch from 3' to 20' and from different angles. Try to do this. John

Collapse -
So you have the JVC? Which model?
by johnhunter44 / January 19, 2006 7:37 PM PST
In reply to: Plasma vs. DLP

Also, its hard to believe that Costco has such a good return policy. I called them last night and questioned them and the guy said that if I bought a plasma and 5 years later, when it is well out of manufacturers warranty, it failed, i could still return it for a full refund. He even said that they would even refund the shipping costs. He also said there was no time limit for them to do this as long as I remained a member. There is no reason to buy an extended service warranty. Thats amazing. Do you sill like your set?

Collapse -
Costco had them for $2400.
by jcrobso / January 19, 2006 11:45 PM PST
Collapse -
Didn't hear your thoughts.
by del213 / January 20, 2006 3:01 AM PST

John, so what do you think. DLP or Plasma. I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Most of my IT friends say to get the DLP.

Collapse -
Didn't hear your thoughts.
by jcrobso / January 20, 2006 3:14 AM PST

Did you have a chance to look at them from a distance of 14~17'??? This should be a big factor in your choice.
All TV types have up and down points.
I was thing back to when I bought my 32" toshiba 14 years ago. Only two kinds of TVs to choose from direct view CRT and RP-CRT. RP-CRTs were in the $3000+ range.
The biggest tube was 32"(the 35" came out 6 months later)
So it was JVC, Sony, and Toshiba. The Toshiba was on sale, it was the grand opening of the first BB in the Chicago area. But now there a so many,,,,boggles the mind.
The DLP is bigger and will look good at your viewing distance, again please go look, try an off hour when less people are around so you came spend some time just watching. John

Collapse -
what out for Costco warranty
by ex-Costco employee / January 21, 2006 12:16 AM PST

All the informations you've got were true
but you'll need the original box, with all the original information package.
Most of the Costco member disposed of the original packing, so Costco won't refund the item that you want to return.

That the catch in that policy.

Collapse -
Corrected Costco return policy.
by tbright / January 26, 2006 10:37 AM PST

As a current Costco employee that checks in returns from the electronics department, I can say that the only ''catch'' when it comes to returns, is that we need to have everything returned that sold with the product (remotes, software, cords, etc.). Whether or not the original box comes back has no bearing on accepting the return.

Collapse -
Costco return
by pprobob / January 30, 2006 11:48 AM PST

I purchased an RCA 61'DLP set about 15 months ago. Had two bulbs go bad in that time so I just took it back to Costco. I returned all the cables and remotes. Had no problem received full price I paid. Turned around and purchased the Toshiba 62 inch DLP.

Collapse -
Costco
by del213 / January 30, 2006 1:51 PM PST
In reply to: Costco return

Wow. Its actually great to hear about their policy, but to have somebody experience it and know that the return policy actually works is awesome. Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
Plasma is my choice.
by how / January 20, 2006 9:09 PM PST

Costco has some very good offers, but my bottom line decision was a 50" plasma from Zenith. ($2900) With 8000:1 contrast ratio you can run it in power save mode and probably extend life of display to double the 60,000 hours. (who wants a set that long any way? it will be long past obsolete) burn-in is not an issue any more. This HDTV set has all the inputs and tuners + features to make it the sweet spot for today.

Collapse -
DLP? I thought they were extinct....
by bumperman / January 20, 2006 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Plasma is my choice.

DLP??

No Way. Not for Action, Sports, etc; besides, the best one, Samsung, just made a major change in technology (no more spinning wheel--see CES show results on CNET)

Most newer Plasma's have burn-in protection, and that really is not an issue anymore---and the picture is SO MUCH better...you can get a two year warranty on the one I just bought, the Samsung 4272--If you need 50", look at the 5072---GREAT TV's...

Collapse -
Take a look @ both the LCoS manufacturers,
by norlfolkcentral / January 23, 2006 10:39 AM PST

The Sony 50" SXRD KD-SR50XBR1 runs about $3200 on
sale
JVC's line of HD-ILA sets are worth a decent audition.

Collapse -
Would you Rather Drive A BMW Or A Yugo?....
by Psych Doc / January 20, 2006 11:49 PM PST

..Please, this isn't even open for discussion. Plasma stomps all over DLP in pretty much every conceivable category. The most hideous aspect of DLP is the non existant viewing angle issue where if you walk in front of your TV from one side to the other the picture changes in brightness dramatically. The effect is even worse when you move vertically in fron to the TV. Utterly unacceptable. DLP is not "a little bulkier" it's MUCH bulkier and the picture isn't even in the same league as plasma.

Forget burn in. Unless you go out of your way to burn in an image by leaving an image static on the TV for over a day or two, this is just not an issue. Most plasmas these days have a "life span" of 40,000-60,000 hours. At 10 hours a day (more than most people have their sets on) that's 12-18 years. I have a feeling I'll be looking for another set by then anyway.

Don't be foolish....get the plasma.

Collapse -
DLP
by mcummins / January 21, 2006 1:00 AM PST

I have a 50" Samsung DLP. I love it. When I researched DLP TVs I noticed a big difference between 780p and 1080p. The 1080p, while more expensive, has a far superior picture and the viewing angle issue goes away.

But Hi Def is so much better than non Hi Def that I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever set you purchase.

mc

Collapse -
DLP again
by mcummins / January 21, 2006 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: DLP

Forgot this. DLP is best viewed at eye level.

mc

Collapse -
Plasma vs. DLP
by RolliePJ / January 21, 2006 8:02 AM PST

I bought a DLP myself and I have spent many weeks and months on the internet researching both. When I went to the Best Buy store to view them both, there was no comparison. The DLP won hands down. I compared the same size sets and different models. Bottom line is, it doesn't matter what anyone else says on these discussions, you are the one buying it and you are the one watching it. Go and test and view for yourself and then make the decision.

Collapse -
I have one of each.
by jmoy / January 21, 2006 1:24 PM PST

In my home theather I have a 50" DLP and in my family room I have a 37" Plasma. I bought the DLP several years back when a 50" Plasma was cost prohibited. If I were to get one today, I would go with the Plasma. I have calibrated both TV's (You will want to also) to get the best picture possible and I really like the picture on the Plasma better. The colors seem crisper and HD feeds really pop. You will probably be happy with either if you dont have both of them in your house to compare. Goog luck with your choice.

Collapse -
calibrated
by barkeypf / January 22, 2006 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: I have one of each.

Most DLP's now have single light projection. There is no calibration on them. The light will burn out in approx. 3 years and are easy to replace, cost now $200. In 3 years $100 ????.

Collapse -
I feel the need to clarify one thing here...
by idwk / January 22, 2006 7:39 PM PST

1 -- burning factor of plasma -- it's been stated a few times in this thread that this is not a factor with the newer plasma -- THIS IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG. Due to improvements of the gas, the screen and the auto-pixel-shifting (Samsung), the newer generation plasma are more burn-in resistant...however, that is definitely not the same as burn-in-proof.

for practical reasons -- unless you plan on playing a lot video games or watching TV channels with the ticker at the bottom, burn-in should be less of a factor with the newer plasma.

2 -- Specially in regards to the Phillips plasma and the Toshiba DLP mentioned...

(a) the best maker of DLP currently is Samsung, followed by Mitsubishi. Toshiba is a distant 3rd. I have seen the Toshiba DLP in Costco stores -- color saturation and viewing angle are not good. Not to mention the inherent issues with DLP tv's -- rainbow effect[except in the new LED DLP from samsung], ghosting or pixelations with fast moving scenes [ie. sports].

(b) I have not seen the Phillips plasma in store, so I cannot make any specific comments on it. Overall though, the best makers of plasma's are considered to be Pioneer (elite series) and Panasonic.

Probably not the exact opinion you are looking for. If those are the only 2 options you are considering, I'd advise that you check them out in person, and see which one looks better to you.

However, if forced to make a best guess, I'd pick the Phillips plasma -- I doubt that its color saturation is any worse than the Toshiba DLP.

Collapse -
Went with the Plasma--absolutely no regrets
by del213 / January 25, 2006 12:16 AM PST

Well I went to Costco Monday morning (the first day of the $400 off costco coupon) and waited for them to open at 10 am. There were 9 other cars in the lot with people waiting to get in, 5 of them including me had oversized vehicles. Sure enough, when they opened the store, all 5 of us were loading the 50" plasmas onto carts. They sold out (10 sets) by noon. I hooked it up that night and the picture is fantastic, just like the displays in the stores, especially the Rush Channel. I just wish that DishNetwork had more than the 15 channels. They stated that by 2/1 they will offer a new upgrade to my recently new HD receiver, that will allow my local channels that are broadcast in HD, will be sent to my set HD. He told me that I needed to upgrade my HD receiver this second (and hopefully last time) to get local HD broadcasts. Thanks.

Collapse -
Good Choice...You Won't Be Sorry!!! {nt}
by Psych Doc / January 25, 2006 12:44 AM PST

nt

Collapse -
Costco Philips
by chilleedog / January 27, 2006 9:12 AM PST

I am really stuck....i went to costco and i am wanting to buy the same plasma as you...the only thing that is holding me back is that the color didn't look as sharp and bright as some of the DLP's...but, they had it playing some dvd on sea research...the thing i hate about costco is that they run 10 t.v's off the same signal...so, i take it that you love your t.v...how does it look on standard dishnet satellite...does it look better than cable tv

Collapse -
Costco Philips
by del213 / January 27, 2006 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: Costco Philips

Trust me when I say this, the picture on this Plasma is fantastic. I've got Dish Network which provides up to 15 Hi-Def subscription channels, also known as Voom. Its just as good as in the stores. Fantastic clarity and the colors just pop. When I switch to standard dish satellite, its very good also. Not as good as the hi-def, but very good nonetheless. Now, when I pop in a nice 16:9 widescreen flick, connected to the 5.1, wow. Its amazing. Why did I buy a Philips? Because its a reputable quality brand that is sold at Costco which has an unbelievable return policy, and its offered at a great price. If you don't like it, after a day, a week, a month, a year, whatever, you can always get your money back. Costco rocks.

Collapse -
Just saw this thread
by ares33 / January 27, 2006 10:45 AM PST

As I just posted in another thread. I'll very likely be going to costco to get this very set thats still on sale through Sunday. I hope their not sold out. But if they are they're supposed to give out rain checks. It looked good in the store to me and I'm sure with the right tweaks it will look better at home. And if it doesn't, hey, costco will take it back! Costco will take back anything. I love that place.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?