Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CORSAIR DOMINATOR

by FastGaming / December 11, 2007 8:32 PM PST

hi,

I have visited some websites and found out that the corsair dominator comes in pairs always, but the place where I am going to buy them they come single in 1Gb is this normal, can I trust this.

ThIS is the info about the mems CM2X1024-8500C5D are these the same as TWIN2X2048-8500C5D but single ?

thanks

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
WAG, but...
by Willy / December 11, 2007 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: CORSAIR DOMINATOR

The purpose of "pairs" is to allow the memory usage the optimum ram scheme of DDR2/DDR3. When into gaming, this involves the "extreme end" of usage and thus the ram must be capable as well as the Dominator series is intended to do.

That website probably is offering just for sale and not following the true context of "best advise" for end use. In other words, you may have problems and/or these are really "recycled" ram sticks, no matter I just wouldn't trust that vendor provided the typical sale of such is usually in pairs. Do you feel comfortable knowing this? At least go in with open eyes.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
KINGSTON GAMER
by FastGaming / December 11, 2007 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: WAG, but...

Thanks
ah what do you think of these DDR2 1GB PC2-8500 KINGSTON GAMER

What mems should be good for gaming

Collapse -
Brandnames worth it
by Willy / December 12, 2007 6:50 PM PST
In reply to: KINGSTON GAMER

Most ram vendors will typically mention the words, "extreme, optimum, or gamers, etc" you get the idea. In Kingston's case, "HyperX". Afterall, they are charging for that ability&reliability thus you pay more. Plus, again most ram sticks of this sort have "heat shields" or "heat dissipaters" to shed heat. If gaming is truly your end use, then provide extra cooling to better exhaust that extra heat build-up overall.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Most of the RAM in the Dominator series at Newegg comes in
by VAPCMD / December 13, 2007 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: CORSAIR DOMINATOR

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!