Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Corrupted Windows Logon

I installed an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro AGP 8x card last night, and have had problems since. After installing the card, software, and drivers, and restarting, I have experienced the blue screen of death several dozen times...usually just after I signed in and Windows started to load (although it sometimes let me start to load the internet or another program before crashing). Each time, I received one of two errors: ''DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'' followed by ''NaiFiltr.sys'' at the end, or ''PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.'' Knowing it was ATI's software/hardware causing the problem, I removed the card and uninstalled all of the software and drivers it came with in Safe Mode.

However, now the Logon utility crashes every time Windows starts normally. I can't click my account and enter my password, or use ctrl+alt+delete for the prompt box. I again started in Safe Mode wih no problem, but System Restore is malfunctioning...every time it goes through the process but after a restart states that the restore process was incomplete.

Is there a way to correct this problem (either from Safe Mode or my other installation of Windows XP) without reinstalling Windows? I have a backup of all my software/files (about a week old), but would prefer not to have to reinstall everything (100+ programs, totaling over 60GB) and reset all preferences.

Thanks,
John

Specs:
HP Pavilion a810n:
* WinXP Pro (2x), WinXP64
* AMD Athlon 64 3300+ (2.4GHz)
* 1GB DDR400 PC3200
* ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro
* 160GB Ultra DMA HD

Note: The corruption in question only affects the primary installation of Windows XP Professional w/ SP2. Let me know if you need any more information.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Corrupted Windows Logon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Corrupted Windows Logon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get new drivers

In reply to: Corrupted Windows Logon

1/get the latest drivers for your ATI as well as your mother board and bios - your ATI drivers that came with it were probably made before XP SP2 -
2/ then stop any tray icons from loading using msconfig - more often than not these are the ones that cause the problem - I have a nVidia card and found trouble with the systray icon.
3/ Try using default card settings if you have "tweaked" things up a bit - you maybe over clocking.

But get ALL those drivers.
Peter

Collapse -
Naifiltr.sys is.....

In reply to: Get new drivers

Naifiltr.sys is related to McAfee AV.
If you have it, uninstall and see if the errors go away.

It may or may not fix the IRQ_less problem but it may.

Also do what Aussiepete said, latest video drivers.

Is your power supply up to the task, you didn't show what you are using. With your hardware, you should have a very decent PSU. Brand name PSU 400watt minimum, I would use at least a 450watt Enermax, Antec or one of a brand that is rated high quality.

You didn't state the mainboard model. Will it handle the load the 9600 puts on it?

Collapse -
Ended up ATI drivers...

In reply to: Naifiltr.sys is.....

I tried updating the drivers in Safe mode, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc, but nothing worked. The problem progressively got worse until I used the repair feature from my Windows XP Pro CD. (I had been a little apprehensive about performing the action, as the previous time an error occurred, which corrupted Windows even further, forcing me to reformat my HD.)

Afterwards, as an experiment, I installed the drivers and software, but not the card, and restarted. The same problem occurred, verifying that it was the ATI drivers/software. I looked into it, and it turns out the card and drivers were designed for an Intel system. In order to install it on an AMD system, you have to download extra customized drivers (which I had done)...apparently those were the ones corrupted.

As far as the PSU, it's HP's stock ''space-filler''...Hipro 350W. Statistically, it would just cover the 9600. I've had problems with my system restarting by itself for some time...usually when booting after it had been off or on standby/hibernate for a few hours (fine after it's been on 5-10 minutes). From what I've read it's probably a loose connection in the PSU (does that sound right, or is there another possibility?). I'm planning on replacing it if/when I find a TV tuner/graphics card combo that works with my system (otherwise I'll just have it replaced with a dupe Hipro 350W by HP...it's still under warrenty).

My mobo is an Asus Salmon v1.04 w/ AMD Athlon64 3300+ processor (2.411GHz)...more than sufficient.

Thanks,
John

P.S. McAfee might be a memory hog, but I get Internet Security Suite for free, so I can't really complain. Fortunately, it wasn't the cause here.

Collapse -
Not even close to big enough PSU

In reply to: Ended up ATI drivers...

This is probably why your getting problems.

That system is pretty demanding, and even if the PSU was OK when new, they ususally degrade over time.

Go for a lot bigger PSU now don't waste money on another 350Watt.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!