Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

corrupted .NET Framework 3.5 sp1

by benbobson / December 1, 2008 2:24 AM PST

Can anyone tell me how to repair or uninstall a corrupted .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installation? I have tried Add/Remove on Control Panel, Windows Install Cleanup (file no longer showing), and downloading and re-installing the application - none work, 3.5 SP1 still shows in Add/Remove with earlier versions (back to 1.1)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: corrupted .NET Framework 3.5 sp1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: corrupted .NET Framework 3.5 sp1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I need a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 2:45 AM PST

While I can remove the item from add/remove's list, and clean up the pending install how about a little more. An error message or what is causing you to call it corrupt.
Bob

Collapse -
.NET Framework 3.5 sp1
by benbobson / December 1, 2008 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: I need a little more.

Thanks - I'm only assuming it is corrupt since it won't uninstall, and it is not showing in Windows Install Clean-up. Also, when I attempt to install a program requiring .NET Framework 3.5 (Creator 2009) I get a "set-up failed" message, the same message when I try to uninstall or re-install it. I've also noticed some other programs "acting funny" since I first installed .NET Framework 3.5 sp1. The problem originated when I installed Creator 2009 which did not function properly, so I downloaded and installed .NET Framework SP1 thinking it might help. Not only did it not help, but Creater 2009 would not uninstall at Add/Remove, so I made the mistake of doing a System Restore. After a long Thanksgiving weekend of attempting to get my machine back in order, the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 problem is all that remains. Thanks - Bob

Collapse -
That helped but I was left to guess it was Roxio software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: .NET Framework 3.5 sp1

When I guess, it might be a bad guess.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Creator+2009+net+framework finds some good insight into installing Roxio Creator 2009.

This still leaves me with why you call .net bad. Yes Microsoft has a terrible time of uninstall issues but so far I don't see the right words to call this bad.

-> Let's clean out .net?

1. Remove the item from add/remove. I use Add Remove Pro (see google) to remove it from the list.
2. Take your pick from http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=manually+remove+.net+3.0+sp1

Bob

Collapse -
.NET Framework uninstall
by benbobson / December 1, 2008 5:55 AM PST

Yes, the product is Roxio Creator 2009, and thanks for the reference sites for Roxio Creator 2009 installation issues. I'm not blaming Microsoft for how .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 might have become corrupted by my attempts at problem solving. I just want to get my computer back to where it was prior to my fouling it up, and it bugs me that I can't uninstall/re-install/repair a Microsoft product. At this point I'm concerned that resolving the Roxio installation issues without "cleaning up" the .NET Framework issue may not be time well spent. Since Creator 2009 requires Microsoft software it makes sense to me to make certain the associated software is in good working order prior to a re-installation attempt. Roxio Creator 2009 is a long install (20-30 minutes) and an almost as long uninstall. At this point I have more than 6 hours invested in getting a piece of $99 software running without success, and the only thing I have to show for it is Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 that won't uninstall or repair.

Question - do you think Stebner's tool at
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx
also works for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1? He lists 3.5, but not 3.5 SP1.

Thanks - Bob

Collapse -
Bite my tongue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 6:49 AM PST

There is no going back unless we had a backup...

The tool looks good to me. I would use that.
bob

Collapse -
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 issues
by benbobson / December 1, 2008 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Bite my tongue.

Stebner's tool worked great. It's intuitive and easy to use. Thanks for all your help.

Bob

Collapse -
Uninstall problem
by jones2010 / January 28, 2010 11:35 PM PST

Microsoft Windows XP home edition
Can't uninstall Net Framework 3.5 SP1. Need help

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Uninstall problem

If the above didn't work then you have to wipe out and install it all over!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?