Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

Question

Corrupted jpg files on CF card

by paddypaws2014 / November 3, 2014 5:09 AM PST

Hello!
When I was downloading some important files from my D70 to the computer, most of them donwloaded fine. About 45 of them did not. These have names with symbols and the jpg extension. For instance DSC_495<.JPG (symbols used are ?><=;:)
All the files show normal file sizes, so I assume the data is there. I can view the file names (not thumbnails or tiles) in windows explorer when I open the card with my card reader, but cannot view images in the camera.
It does not allow me to simply rename the files and change the symbol for a number (Error: The file name you specified is not valid or too long) or even copy the files to a different folder (Error: Could not find this item, It is no longer located in G:\DCIM\850D70. Verify the item's location and try again)
Stellar Phoenix and Picture doctor could not open the file tor eapir it- same error messages. Asoftech recovered other deleted files on the card, but did not open these 45 or so files.
I changed the card reader, no effect. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Corrupted jpg files on CF card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Corrupted jpg files on CF card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Usually corruption.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2014 5:14 AM PST

If the camera and all apps can't decode they are usually gone. Try IRFANVIEW too.

No camera I know of allows you to move pictures around like that. So that's a dead end.

However the recurring issue I encounter is that folk don't format the card in the camera. Be sure to do that at least yearly.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: filename invalid or too long
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 3, 2014 6:07 AM PST
http://www.xdude.com/how-to-delete-or-rename-a-folder-with-an-invalid-file-name-in-windows-7-vista-xp-etc/ gives 3 options that might work:
1. Use the DOS filename in the command prompt to rename it. Use dir /x to tell you those names.
2. Use a not-free tool I won't name here.
3. Boot from a Linux disk.

Renaming the file doesn't automatically make the contents correct, but it's a necessary step to access it.

After copying all files from your camera, be sure to format the memory card in the camera. If that gives an error, better buy another card.

Kees
Collapse -
Follow up
by paddypaws2014 / November 3, 2014 11:57 PM PST

Thanks Bob and Kees. I will try your suggestions. I was reading up on this and realised I may have caused this by shooting with very low battery and turning teh camera on and off to get more pictures done. Seemed to work at the time, but not now:-(
Bob, "No camera I know of allows you to move pictures around like that. So that's a dead end."- I didn't get that. I was trying the access the card through a card reader; could you clarify?
Will reformat the card ASAP.
Thanks!

Collapse -
Using the card reader...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2014 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Follow up

I read this as if you were moving the files around and hoping the camera would show the pictures after the move. For now, I don't see that working. That is I'm sure some camera might accept that (those Android cameras do) but for now, get the files out and try the IRFANVIEW and even VLC Player.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?