Mac OS forum

General discussion

Corrupted installer?

by dlclaytor / September 29, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

When I attempt to install a program from a DVD or CD, the process begins normally and then abruptly stops -- that is, a dialogue opens, I enter my password to authorize the installation, the name of the app appears on the menu bar, but then it suddenly quits and returns me to the desktop without actually installing. I'm wondering if the Installer in System=>Library=>Core Services may be corrupted. Any advice on how I might troubleshoot and remedy the problem?

Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Corrupted installer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Corrupted installer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If this happens every time,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Corrupted installer?

Try creating a new account, with admin rights, log onto it and attempt to install something.
If it works, you have a corrupt account profile.

If it doesn't, then an Archive and install is in order
Remember to preserve user settings

P

Collapse -
Bingo!
by dlclaytor / September 30, 2009 7:23 AM PDT

I already had a TestAccount set up, so I logged in and tried your suggestion. The installer worked perfectly, so I must have a corrupt account profile, as you suspected. Is a corrupt account profile fixable? Or must I set up a new one -- and, if so, is there a way to transfer in all of my settings without re-corrupting the profile? (That question may pose more of a task than you're willing to deal with! 8^{

Collapse -
Moving from one profile to another
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Bingo!

is a little lengthy but not impossible.
In your old account, move everything, using OPTION + DRAG, that you need from your documents folder into the Shared folder. You will find this in the Users folder.
Do the same with everything you need from the other folders in your original Home folder.
Do not just drag the folder, just the contents. Create a corresponding folder, with the same name, in the Shared folder and just OPTION + DRAG the contents of the original folder into it.
This copies the files, instead of moving them, just in case anything goes wrong, you will still have the originals.

Once all is moved, log into your new account, move all the stuff out of the folders inside the Shared folder and put it in the corresponding folders of your new account. Say Yes to any request to overwrite.

Should keep you busy for a while. Copying stuff to the shared folder overcomes the permissions problem that can occur when you move files from one account to another.

Good luck

P

Collapse -
Problem solved...
by dlclaytor / September 30, 2009 1:24 PM PDT

Given the conditions which you described to me, a user over on Apple Discussions suggested deleting the /Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.installer/ folder. I took the course of least resistance and tried that first. Bingo! Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Nice move
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved...

I'll have to remember that one

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.